Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: vegemite  (Read 2598 times)

Offline tmbkr9

• 1st Kit
vegemite
« on: November 04, 2010, 05:51:48 pm »
Does anyone have a vegemite recipe?

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
Re: vegemite
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:17:14 pm »
Does anyone have a vegemite recipe?

Are you wanting to make vegemite, or looking for recipes in which to use it as an ingredient?
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:08:53 am »
I would first wash the yeast to remove trub and bitterness that have settled with it.  Then I would pour it through a coffee filter to remove liquid and make a concentrated yeast paste.  Then add salt - a lot of salt based on the taste.  I think it has other flavorings too, so I'd add some onion powder and ground celery seed based on a list of ingredients I googled.  Sweeten it with DME or sugar.  The ingredient list also says "yeast extract", not yeast.  So after adding salt I might cook it a bit to kill the cells.  That will probably help turn it brown like vegemite too.

Let us know if you try it. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 01:41:45 am »
AFAIK, the process is almost impossible to replicate without vast quantities of spent yeast.

The yeast strain does make a difference though. Marmite has, over the last few years, released several limited editions made with different yeasts. The Guiness one had a definite beefy flavour to it, the champagne one was horrible, the Marstons rather bland. I have yet to try their latest XO offering.
The yeast difference may also be one of the reasons why I greatly prefer Marmite to Vegemite, but that might just be because I'm British, not Australian, and the advertising and exposure early in life ensured I was a committed Marmite eater (love the stuff - eat it every morning on toast).
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 06:54:18 am »
Do you use Marmite plain or with butter?  When I was in Oz, people said they typically buttered toast before using Vegemite.  I tasted it each way, and the one with butter was better.

It's certainly an acquired taste, but it wasn't bad. Very savory, so I could see a slice of toast with this as being a substitute for breakfast meat.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 07:18:28 am »
I generally don't have it with butter with toast. If the bread remains untoasted (as my wife once put it, the British view bread as raw toast), then butter is required as the lack of heat keeps it fairly stiff.

As an aside, I know people who use marmite in very small amounts as yeast nutrient.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/