Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tabasco Chipotle  (Read 7435 times)

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
Re: Tabasco Chipotle
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 07:43:23 am »
I'll have to pick up a bottle of this sauce the next time I see it.
Do they sell it at major food chains?

Yep. I've seen it at every chain down here. I love the stuff. That and Valentina Hot Sauce are staple condiments in my house.

"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2010, 08:02:08 am »
Another great hot sauce...and dont-you-judge-me....Trader Joe's Chili Pepper Sauce.  I know this sounds gross, but it reminds me of a superior, spicier version of Taco Bell hot sauce.  Similar flavors but better.  Completely unlike tabasco, and for the vinegar-averse, it makes an exceptional hot sauce.  I bought three bottles of the stuff on my road trip.

I know "like Taco Bell but better!" isn't exactly going to win any foodies over, but it really is quite tasty and somehow that's the best I can manage to describe it.  So many hot sauces are stuck in the pepper+vinegar mold, which I generally don't like much.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 08:09:47 am »
I make my own chipotles.  If I need to add the flavor to something, I grind one up and add it in.  I use mesquite for the smoke and jalapenos grow like weeds, so I figured I would just do my own.  I smoke them raw and then dry them out.  I've done it for a couple of years now and have been able to do about a years supply each year.  Only problem is, they are becoming quite popular around my house, so the supply may not last as long as it did when I first started out.  My house salsa has them in it and chicken or shrimp in a chipotle cream sauce seems to be a crowd favorite around here as well.  Using them dried takes the vinegar out of play.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 08:16:52 am »
I make my own chipotles.  If I need to add the flavor to something, I grind one up and add it in.  I use mesquite for the smoke and jalapenos grow like weeds, so I figured I would just do my own.  I smoke them raw and then dry them out.  I've done it for a couple of years now and have been able to do about a years supply each year.  Only problem is, they are becoming quite popular around my house, so the supply may not last as long as it did when I first started out.  My house salsa has them in it and chicken or shrimp in a chipotle cream sauce seems to be a crowd favorite around here as well.  Using them dried takes the vinegar out of play.
That sound really good.  Do you cold smoke them or roast/smoke them?  I may try this with poblano peppers, one of my favorite ingredients.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 08:23:26 am »
You are just outside of Paris and you use French's mustard...   

Local kine mustard...?    :D

I have about 5 different types of mustard in my fridge right now, two of which are produced within 20 km of me. However - American-style yellow mustards just do not exist. Have you ever tried putting moutarde à l'ancienne on a hot dog? You gotta use the 'real' thing. That goes for various sauce/rub recipes too. Local mustard just isn't the right flavor for my Shake Shack sauce clone.

Same goes for dill pickles. Cornichons are GREAT, especially the Croq Vert brand, but good 'ol dill pickles are the best for certain types of flavor.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 08:34:42 am »
I had a great pepper sauce that was sitting on the table next to the salt, pepper and sugar at Mother's Restaurant in NOLA.  It's a clear vinegar sauce with peppers floating in it. I grew a few Tabasco peppers this summer to make a sauce like this. 

Anyone have a recipe which might fit the Mother's style? 

I might take the peppers and stuff them into some white wine vinegar and let them steep to see what happens.

Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 09:02:59 am »
That sound really good.  Do you cold smoke them or roast/smoke them?  I may try this with poblano peppers, one of my favorite ingredients.

I smoke them around 180, then dry them at 225 for 6 hours or so.  I have done poblanos and habaneros as well, but the jalapenos seem to come out best.  Poblanos are sometimes not spicy enough, it really depends on the growing season.  This year was the first year in a while where my poblanos had some heat to them.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 09:05:49 am »
I'll have to pick up a bottle of this sauce the next time I see it.
Do they sell it at major food chains?

Yep. I've seen it at every chain down here. I love the stuff. That and Valentina Hot Sauce are staple condiments in my house.

OK...I've seen this brand before.  Thanks!
Ron Price

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2010, 10:24:43 am »
Valentina is my go to hot sauce.  I'm a big fan of this: but I can't get it here in CO.

Chipotle tabasco is very delicious too.

Offline riverrat

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2010, 10:36:47 am »
I smoke them around 180, then dry them at 225 for 6 hours or so.  I have done poblanos and habaneros as well, but the jalapenos seem to come out best.  Poblanos are sometimes not spicy enough, it really depends on the growing season.  This year was the first year in a while where my poblanos had some heat to them.

How long do you smoke for?  Just do a big pile on a grate, or put them in a bowl of some sort?  I have a few peppers that need preserving very soon, and a smoke/dry cycle on the egg sounds like a winner!

Oh, and if anyone wants a discount from the Tabasco store, they just sent me an email about a $5 on $30 purchase or $20 on $90 purchase discount.  PM me for the code.  Not sure if it would be proper to just post it anywhere, but a pm seems fine to me.
Founding member, California Street Brewery

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2010, 10:41:08 am »
Since we're on the topic of hot sauce's.  This is a good one that has alot of flavor....but be gentle with it...

or else....

Ron Price

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2010, 10:43:32 am »
Phoenix, AZ

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2010, 11:26:32 am »
+1 to the Valentina

We keep a big 1 liter bottle of the Valentina on the break room table. It's more similar to the taco bell sauce in that it has quite a bit of cumin in it. Similarity ends there. It will creep up on you though. Packs a nice kick.

No ones brought this condiment up- Sriracha. I bring four 17 oz bottles at a time to work. My colleagues call it "chinese ketchup". It's very potent but very tasty on just about anything.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2010, 12:19:51 pm »

How long do you smoke for?  Just do a big pile on a grate, or put them in a bowl of some sort?  I have a few peppers that need preserving very soon, and a smoke/dry cycle on the egg sounds like a winner!

Oh, and if anyone wants a discount from the Tabasco store, they just sent me an email about a $5 on $30 purchase or $20 on $90 purchase discount.  PM me for the code.  Not sure if it would be proper to just post it anywhere, but a pm seems fine to me.

I spread them out on a grate and smoke them for about two hours, then dry for about six or until they are totally dry.  If you leave moisture in them , you open up the possibility of molds forming. :P

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2010, 01:09:08 pm »
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 01:37:34 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907