Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hibiscus beer  (Read 17108 times)

Offline revolutionisbrewing

• 1st Kit
  • Roanoke, VA
    • Revolution Is Brewing
Hibiscus beer
« on: November 04, 2010, 04:07:50 pm »
I'm trying to work up a Hibiscus Wit recipe for my fiancee, inspired by the Rosee d'hibiscus ale by Dieu du Ciel.  I purchased an ounce of dried hibiscus flowers from a spice shop recently, but I wasn't sure how much to use.  Does anyone have any experience with a beer like this?

My thinking so far is to do a relatively low gravity beer, maybe 5% ABV, mash a little high to leave some residual sugar, maybe 45% wheat malt, 45% pilsner, 10% oats.  Ferment with WLP 400 Belgian Wit.

Any suggestions on how much hibiscus to add, whether to use coriander and/or orange peel in addition, any other spices, any other tips?
Star City Brewers Guild

Keg: English Brown
Primary: Belgian Artisanal Amber
Conditioning: Belgian Double IPA with Brett C, Flanders Red, All-Brett Pale

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
Re: Hibiscus beer
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 08:58:27 am »
along the same lines as adding any other spices, you can always add more later... you can't take away.  
Hibiscus is a delicate flavor that I think would go best after the bulk of fermentation has happened.  Take a few samples of the beer and add incremental amounts of the spice.  Perhaps the dried flowers soaked in vodka.

I would be tempted to add a bunch, mostly because I love hisbiscus.  Drinking my hibiscus tea now...

The rosee d'hibiscus is a very good beer with a pronounced hibiscus aroma and flavor.  Perhaps they put some flowers in at whirlpool for flavor then dosed it again prior to bottling for aroma?

oh, do add coriander/orange peel, but do so rather sparingly.  it would quickly cover up the hibiscus I think.  but some orange/citrus notes in the background would be very complimentary.  (My hibiscus tea has orange peel, mango, and lemongrass in with it and it is quite harmonious)

A possible starting point could be 5 grams coriander, 5 grams orange peel, 10 grams hibiscus added at flameout and steep for 10min or so.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 09:14:08 am by ryang »

• 1st Kit
  • Roanoke, VA
    • Revolution Is Brewing
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 08:55:12 pm »
Thanks, that sounds like great advice.

For a 5.5 gallon batch, I'm going with

5lb pilsener malt
4lb wheat malt
1lb flaked oats
.5lb flaked wheat

mash at 156 for 60 min

1oz argentine cascade @ 60 min
1oz argentine cascade @ 1 min

WLP 400 Belgian Wit yeast

.5oz hibiscus @ 5 min
and an as yet to be determined amount of coriander and orange peel at 5 min also.  Will steep the remaining .5 oz of hibiscus in vodka and add back in to taste at bottling.  FYI, this is my Learn to Homebrew Day demonstration beer.  Or as we like to call it in southwest VA - "Learn a Friend to Homebrew Day." :)
Star City Brewers Guild

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:33:39 pm »
As a general ROT, I notice that vanilla will get the olfactory kicked off to a great start
and that a little vanilla will accentuate the spice you are trying to brew with. It pairs so
well with chocolate that you do not notice the vanilla but the chocolate is resounding
and forward....
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 08:45:48 am »
FYI.. a friend of mine did this beer years ago and it was fairly impressive and pink

http://xxlbrewing.com/hb/recipe/Finca_recipe.html
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

• 1st Kit
  • Roanoke, VA
    • Revolution Is Brewing
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 11:01:33 am »
Does Jamaica = hibiscus flowers in that recipe?

I wound up going with the whole ounce in the last 5 minutes of the boil, because the initial half ounce didn't look like much next to my other spices (5g coriander, 1.5g chamomile, 2 tbsp blood orange spread).  I still think it's going to take more, as it's not very pink yet.  Smells delicious but the chamomile seems to dominate.  If I can find some I'll add more at bottling.
Star City Brewers Guild

Offline Shanidze

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 02:38:22 am »

5lb pilsener malt
4lb wheat malt
1lb flaked oats
.5lb flaked wheat

mash at 156 for 60 min

.5oz hibiscus @ 5 min
and an as yet to be determined amount of coriander and orange peel at 5 min also.  Will steep the remaining .5 oz of hibiscus in vodka and add back in to taste at bottling.  FYI, this is my Learn to Homebrew Day demonstration beer.  Or as we like to call it in southwest VA - "Learn a Friend to Homebrew Day." :)

Hello revolutionsbrewing,

I came to this forum as a result of searching for recipes for a hibiscus-beer and I got very interested in your recipe, I want to ask you - how did it taste in the end? What did you assume, was the amount of hibiscus you took, to much, or too little? =D

Cheers,
Sandro

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 06:37:50 am »

5lb pilsener malt
4lb wheat malt
1lb flaked oats
.5lb flaked wheat

mash at 156 for 60 min

.5oz hibiscus @ 5 min

Hello revolutionsbrewing,

I came to this forum as a result of searching for recipes for a hibiscus-beer and I got very interested in your recipe, I want to ask you - how did it taste in the end? What did you assume, was the amount of hibiscus you took, to much, or too little? =D

Cheers,
Sandro
I brew a hibiscus saison from time to time, and I've settled on 0.6 oz/gallon for my hibiscus dosing rate. It gives a nice pink color, a bit of tartness (that really goes well with WY3711), and just the right amount of hibiscus flavor for my tastes. I've tried it at 1 oz/gallon, but the hibiscus was a bit too much and I scaled it back.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Shanidze

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 01:20:29 am »

I brew a hibiscus saison from time to time, and I've settled on 0.6 oz/gallon for my hibiscus dosing rate. It gives a nice pink color, a bit of tartness (that really goes well with WY3711), and just the right amount of hibiscus flavor for my tastes. I've tried it at 1 oz/gallon, but the hibiscus was a bit too much and I scaled it back.

Thanks fot the quick and helpful reply! Do you boil the hibiscus in, instead of hops? I have big trouble getting hands on hops other then wild ones in my country (Georgia) and are looking for available alternatives =D

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 07:08:23 am »

Thanks fot the quick and helpful reply! Do you boil the hibiscus in, instead of hops? I have big trouble getting hands on hops other then wild ones in my country (Georgia) and are looking for available alternatives =D
I add them in secondary like a fruit or dry hops
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Shanidze

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 03:44:59 am »

I add them in secondary like a fruit or dry hops

Cool, thanks!

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2017, 09:37:29 pm »
I brewed up a Hibiscus Wit a few years back. It worked very well. Just brew a super-concentrated liter and add it to the keg or at bottling. It gave my beer a pleasant pink color.