Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Houston?  (Read 3221 times)

Offline illinoles

• 1st Kit
Houston?
« on: November 24, 2010, 10:45:35 am »
Will be visiting family in Houston for a week around Christmas.  Any tips other than St. Arnold which is already on the agenda.

Thanks!

Offline andrew

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lake Charles / Sweet Lake, LA
Re: Houston?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 10:58:26 am »
The Flying Saucer has a good beer selection and is downtown, not far from St Arnolds
Andrew Tingler

In bottles or on tap: porter, quad, and wit
Secondary: empty
Primary: empty
On Deck: Blackberry Stout and Irish Red

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 11:17:50 am »
Going to be downtown?  Try The Ginger Man (G-Man).  http://houston.gingermanpub.com/beer-lists/draught-list/
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline illinoles

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 01:39:38 pm »
Thanks guys.  Any other microbreweries there?  Is Shiner a pretty quick drive? 

Offline andrew

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lake Charles / Sweet Lake, LA
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 02:29:11 pm »
Unfortunately for a city the size of Houston  it is a little lacking on the micros and brewpubs... much like alot of other larger cities of the south, and much like where I live now down in South Florida. Luckily there are several pubs in planning, but most of the Texas breweries are around the Austin and hill country area. You can check out the brewery list at http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/get-local/find-a-us-brewery. There are a few others around the Houston metro besides just Saint Arnold, but they are by far the most well known and biggest micro there. If you want to go to an Budweiser faciltiy there is one on the east side of the city near the I-10 - East Freeway/610 interchange, but otherwise than that, Shiner is about a 2 hr drive to get to the Spoetzl Brewery and Conroe is about 45 minutes to get to the Southern Star.

Also, besides the Flying Saucer and the G-man, if you want to browse a fairly large selection of beer, Spec's has a good selection. There are several locations around the city, but I believe the one on Smith St on the sw side of downtown is probably the original and largest store.
Andrew Tingler

In bottles or on tap: porter, quad, and wit
Secondary: empty
Primary: empty
On Deck: Blackberry Stout and Irish Red

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 10:10:07 pm »
The Ginger Man is alright, nice selection of imported beers, but I don't care for the company.  Not sure why, just don't.  St. Arnold's is very good.  But my favorite places are a couple of pubs: the Red Lion and McGonigal's Mucky Duck.  Both have great selections of brews on tap and excellent food.  The fish & chips at the Red Lion was the best I've ever had.  IF you care about food at all.  But the beers are great too.  Mucky Duck also has live entertainment pretty much every night.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 11:10:29 am »
Southern Star beers are excellent, and they come in cans. The brewery is north of Houston.
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 03:56:09 am »
Just had an Amstel Bokbier on tap for late breakfast early lunch. Lived in this town back late 70's early 80's..... Oh the stories I can tell..... The bock was OK but face it.... Heiny is the Dutch BMC. in pursuit of more refined material this afternoon. And herring... Got to have some raw herring... Fishies, fishies......
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 03:58:09 am »
Oh shid.... How did I end up in the houston thread.... This was for the Amsterdam thread.... Darn iPhone .. That's it blame the phone.

Offline glitterbug

• Assistant Brewer
  • dallas, tx
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 01:29:06 pm »
Oh shid.... How did I end up in the houston thread.... This was for the Amsterdam thread.... Darn iPhone .. That's it blame the phone.

Android phones prevent these types of mistakes  ;D
A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 06:50:58 am »

Android phones prevent these types of mistakes  ;D

Of course........ :P