Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: OMG, whirlwind trip to Belgium.  (Read 11057 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: OMG, whirlwind trip to Belgium.
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2010, 12:40:32 pm »
Glad you decided to try the ways of the old bull  ;)
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2010, 01:44:14 pm »
But now he has to go back :D  Next thing he'll be going a couple times per year  :D ;D

rabid_dingo- what do you think was wrong with the boon geuze?

So did you get the Nude-O-Scope or the enhanced grope??

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2010, 02:19:08 pm »
Euge the Liefmans was a fantastic sour. Barrel aged for "many many months" per the label.
Tom, can you remember in more detail the Boon Geuze? Describe it to me so make sure I got it right.

Gordon, The cafe was not crowded, we were 4 of maybe 12 people there. It did pick up later in the evening, but
by then we scored seats right at the taps at the bar. Never moved, until we got hungry. Then
we ate and called it a night. We were there for a good long while. 5-7 hours.

Boon (pronounced Bone) is one of my favorites, it's really one of the more traditional lambics. My top 3 are Boon, Hannsens, and Cantillion. Each of these breweries has a range of beers, you typically won't go wrong with any of them. Frank Boon is a fantastic brewer & blender. The gueze is citric and bright, fairly dry, wonderful funk. If you come across the Boon Marriage Parfait be sure to get some, you'll be glad you did.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2010, 12:22:14 am »
Tom, can you remember in more detail the Boon Geuze? Describe it to me so make sure I got it right.
The bottles I've had I had here, not in Belgium.  But it was nicely sour, a little fruity . . . it's been a while, hard to remember the details exactly.  What did you think?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2010, 06:13:54 am »
If you come across the Boon Marriage Parfait be sure to get some, you'll be glad you did.

Every trip  Boon Marriage Parfait was the first beer my wife would order, now its Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek. She calls them breakfest beers :D

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2010, 06:59:04 am »
If you come across the Boon Marriage Parfait be sure to get some, you'll be glad you did.

Every trip  Boon Marriage Parfait was the first beer my wife would order, now its Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek. She calls them breakfest beers :D

I didn't mention Drie Fonteinen in my list of favorite lambic breweries.... my bad, they're another traditional brewery & make some great beer. I recently had a chance to try their distilled product. They had a temp control malfunction at their warehouse & a butt load of lambic got way too hot. Rather than throw it out, they distilled Armand'Spirit, an eau di vie. Apparently, they plan on continuing to do some artisanal distillation.

check this link for more info    http://www.thirstypilgrim.com/2010/01/drie-fonteinen-to-stop-brewing-keep.html
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 07:58:41 am »
Envy  Maybe someday
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2010, 05:02:19 am »
Flemish/Dutch is sort of a cross between German and English, so if you sound out the words you can often figure out what they mean.

I had to check with a few people but each reply was slighty different, I was always hearing French sounds
Finally I asked  Filip @ http://belgianbeerboard.com/

>>>Flemish is a mix or blending of Dutch & French?

Well, not always.
Everything is the result of our rich history and unfortunately also our history of occupancies.
Going east flanders, you will reach Limburg where German influences are very common. Limburg dialect is nearly 'Chinese' for us Westflanders people.
Going west, you indeed will notice the French influences. The region of Kortrijk has that "CH" pronouncing variation which sounds like "SK".
This is a clear example of the French influence, as Frenchman are incapable to pronounce "CH" like we do. "Schild en Vriend", remember !
So indeed the Westflanders dialect is frequently mixed with French words which are not part of ABN.
It makes it all that more difficult for foreign people, and even for the local people.
But speaking ABN solves everything 
Cheers,
Filip

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2010, 05:55:03 am »
Headed to Brussels for a weekend trip in December to see the Christmas Market and of course drink delicious beers. Staying at the Stanhope Hotel, anybody stayed there before?

More important question: a lot of the reviews I'm reading are saying that the bars all still allow smoking inside - is this true? If so, wtf? <rant> Smoking destroys your taste buds and is really bad for the health of everyone around you, and that means you can't enjoy a beer properly. </rant> Any recommendations for bars that DO NOT allow smoking? I've heard Chez Moeder Lambic fits the bill.

Sad to see that a major European city still allows smoking inside buildings.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2010, 06:15:36 am »
I don't recall any bar which did not allow smoking, many times/places if the weather cooperates you can sit outside.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2010, 07:15:49 am »

Thats the way it is & its their  country so....

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2010, 08:51:50 am »

True, but even -France- doesn't permit smoking inside restaurants and bars anymore. I just don't get why I should have to put up with somebody else's dirty habit when I decide to go to a bar in certain places.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2010, 10:03:28 am »

True, but even -France- doesn't permit smoking inside restaurants and bars anymore. I just don't get why I should have to put up with somebody else's dirty habit when I decide to go to a bar in certain places.

Seriously? this is what I hate about too many americans, its their country and who the F*** are we  to tell them how to run their business.

Gawd Damn

How about this,  don't like it then don't go.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2010, 10:25:02 am »

Seriously? this is what I hate about too many americans, its their country and who the F*** are we  to tell them how to run their business.

Gawd Damn

How about this,  don't like it then don't go.

+ a billion.

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2010, 10:34:39 am »
I just don't get why people in Belgium should have to put up with some crazy foreigners anti-smoking crusade when they decide to go to a bar in certain places.