Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Strange Pour  (Read 2070 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Strange Pour
« on: November 08, 2010, 12:03:57 pm »
Hey all,

So my brass tower finally came in, hurrah! Thanks to Korey at Kegworks for helping me out and putting up with my random questions.

I've got a Pumpkin Ale which is on tap #1, and on tap #2 I've got a nice Irish red. #1 is pouring fine, but #2 is strange. At the beginning of the pour, it looks fine, nice and clear. However after about two seconds it starts pouring the consistency of Guinness. Not that I'm complaining - there's some beautiful head on this thing once it gets poured, and it's suuuuper creamy. But I do have to pour it like a Guinness - pour some, wait, pour some, wait. It's not the style of beer I was going for, so I wanted to see if any of you guys had thoughts about the issue. Here are some photos:

During the pour:

After the pour:

Note that the head is super super super dense. I likey, but I wanna do how to reproduce-y.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Strange Pour
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 12:22:19 pm »
Are they the same type of tap?

If so it seems to me a restriction in there or air being sucked in.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 12:22:55 pm »
The pour looks like it's trickling out of the orifice.  Is there any blockage w/packaging material or something that is causing churn?
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 01:11:48 pm »
Check out the Brewers Association Draught Quality Manual to help you balance your system and get the right pour.  You can download the manual for free.  It's pretty comprehensive.

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/publications/draught-quality-manual
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 01:35:06 pm »
Check out the Brewers Association Draught Quality Manual to help you balance your system and get the right pour.  You can download the manual for free.  It's pretty comprehensive.

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/publications/draught-quality-manual

Ya I've got a copy, it's been really handy so far, but the thing I don't get is this: I've got a Y-splitter on my co2 tank and both lines are the same length, and the lines out to the taps are the same length too, and since I know the other tap is fine I'm pretty sure it's not a balancing issue.

For the blockages, etc - should I just unscrew everything and see what I can find? I'll give it a shot tomorrow night to see what I can see - thanks for the tips all.
----

beveragebob

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 05:16:19 pm »
Could try tightening the shank/faucet coupling with a spanner wrench, could be pulling air like someone above said but, I would think you'd see a trickle out of it if it was but, worth a shot. Maybe a kink in the line where it mates in the top of the tower.

Offline Gary Glass

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 05:25:03 pm »
You might try swapping the kegs to see if it has anything to do with the beer or the keg you are using. 
Gary Glass
Longmont, Colorado

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 02:37:31 am »
You might try swapping the kegs to see if it has anything to do with the beer or the keg you are using. 

After posting to the forum, this is the first thing I'll try tonight. I figured maybe it was an over-carb problem or something.
----