Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Tasty's Celebration Ale Clone  (Read 2314 times)

Offline bendbrew

• Assistant Brewer
Tasty's Celebration Ale Clone
« on: November 05, 2010, 10:21:54 am »
Hello all:  I am considering brewing a batch of Tasty's Celebration Ale Clone.  I cannot quite make out the instructions for the first hop additions.  It is calls for Chinook addition in the mash.  Is this to be added to the mash or first wort hopping? 

http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/SN_Celebration_Ale_-2008_NHC_3rd_Place_2nd_round.html

Thanks.

beveragebob

Re: Tasty's Celebration Ale Clone
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 01:32:50 pm »
From what others have stated (Denny et. al) the consensus is you'd be better off doing FWH instead and treat it like a 20 minute addition for IBU points.

jaybeerman

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 03:47:14 pm »
From what others have stated (Denny et. al) the consensus is you'd be better off doing FWH instead and treat it like a 20 minute addition for IBU points.

I'm sure denny didn't say that, he can correct me if I'm wrong. FWH will give a soft flavor comparable in flavor to a 20 minute addition.  Otherwise, as ibu's are calc'd they will be a touch higher than a 60 minute addition.

As far as mash hopping or first wort hopping, I personally, much prefer fwh and that's all I can tell you.

beveragebob

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 08:44:19 pm »
Stand by Jay! 8)

jaybeerman

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 10:18:33 pm »
bendbrew that recipe does indicate that they mash hopped and i would brew that recipe just like it's shown.  you'll have a very hoppy delicious brew on your hands.  as an experiment, later on you could swap the mash hops for fwh though you'd have to adjust a few of the additions due to the added bitterness.  that way you can decide for yourself if you prefer one method over the other.