Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thanksgiving recipe time  (Read 2832 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Thanksgiving recipe time
« on: November 09, 2010, 02:45:06 am »
Got anything in mind? I'll be doing my 9-kg (19.5 pound) bird in this manner: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2009/11/alton-browns-roast-turkey-recipe.html

For sides, my wife is doing a rabbit stuffing. I'm doing some bourbon pecan sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, pommes puree, and homemade cranberry sauce. Probably doing some sort of homemade artisanal rolls on the side, not sure what kind though.

And of course, BEER. Probably a selection of Belgians for people to taste, along with Anchor Steam IPA and maybe something British.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Thanksgiving recipe time
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 06:19:11 am »
My wife and I have finally decided that our favorite thing about Thanksgiving is the side dishes, and we both aren't as big of fans of turkey, so we are considering just doing a smoke roasted chicken, chicken gravy, and all the sides.  Heresy, I know.

Last year I spatchcocked a turkey and smoked it, quite nice.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 06:29:54 am »

How'd you go about smoking it - Hickory, Apple? Figure it'd take a loooong time to smoke a big bird, how long you end up going for?
----

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 09:40:47 am »

How'd you go about smoking it - Hickory, Apple? Figure it'd take a loooong time to smoke a big bird, how long you end up going for?

Oh man, smoked turkey is the only way.  My dad makes one every year.  He smokes it with hickory for about 18-20 hours.

Can't wait to get a smoker for myself so I can do the same!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 10:36:27 am »
I don't remember the details of the cook.  I probably cooked it at higher temps, because I prefer more of a smoke-roasting effect with turkey and chicken.  So likely in the 300+ range.  Still gets a nice smokiness but crisps up.  I'm not a huge fan of the rubbery, acrid smelling skin on turkey that is smoked low and slow until done, but if you don't eat the turkey skin, its no problem.  Hickory is the common wood around here, but I would have used whatever was on hand!

But if you're smoke roasting around 300-350 its going to take similar amounts of time as if you are oven roasting at the same temp.  The key is just doing it "until its done", ie., checking with a thermometer.  Not very feasible thing if you have company, though.  The spatchcocking I'm sure reduces some of the time.

Another nifty trick I learned from Jacques Pepin... before cooking chop the ball end of the leg bone off...just the end of the bone.  Then once cooked and ready to carve, get a clean pair of pliers and pull those bone-like tendons or cartilage things cleanly out.  Makes a much more enjoyable turkey leg, IMO.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:36:47 am »
We usually host my wife's family, so I can't get too crazy and things need to be ready on a timetable.  But they might not come up from Portland this year since we'll see them the weekend before, so maybe I'll get a chance to smoke/roast the turkey.  Or if they do come maybe I'll just smoke/roast a turkey breast while the turkey is in the oven . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2010, 12:03:23 pm »
What about

Frying a turkey?

I found a supplier in the UK that can get me one of those Bayou Classics, and I'm super tempted. We've got 18 people coming so I think I'd probably do 2 10-pounders, one in the BGE @ 350 with hickory per the recommendations above and then the other in the fryer. Sounds like the investment would be worthwhile, too, as those things can be handy for brewing-related activities, apparently. Thoughts? I've never done it before but have been doing my research and it seems feasible.
----

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2010, 12:10:13 pm »
We went to a friend's for Thanksgiving 10 years ago or so, and they fried a turkey.  Injected it with cajun seasoning first, it fried up fairly quickly IIRC.  You've got to be careful you don't burn yourself or your house, but it makes for a very tasty dish :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 12:15:15 pm »
My wife and I have finally decided that our favorite thing about Thanksgiving is the side dishes, and we both aren't as big of fans of turkey, so we are considering just doing a smoke roasted chicken, chicken gravy, and all the sides.  Heresy, I know.

We go out with the Venture Scouts for dungeness crab the Tuesday before Thanksgiving.  It makes the perfect lunch before a big dinner.  Since they are out of school, it's a real fun day in the middle of fall.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 12:57:59 pm »
What about

Frying a turkey?

Do it! I'm debating frying a 20 pounder this year. It will be a day before decision whether to fry or smoke. I'm a bit leery of smoking a bird that large and the amount of time it will take. I have a side-box smoker that I have a hard time keeping a constant temp in and has me leaning towards the fryer. Gonna have to look at my pot and see if it can hold that big of a turkey.

I'd recommend brining the turkey rather than injecting though. Much more even flavoring and no holes for the juices to leak out of while frying. I believe the recommended time for frying is only about 3-3.5 minutes a lb. Make sure the turkey is very dry, inside and out to prevent oil splattering and fires. That's the key. (Well, that and an extra set of hands to help lower the bird into the oil and pull it out. I use a large broom handle held on both ends to lower with the hook).

On top of turkey this year, I saw a recipe on DD&D for a smoked sausage made in corn husks. Gonna give that a go with some fresh ground pork butt and some Hatch chiles that I roasted this summer.

I
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 04:17:26 pm »
Im gonna spatchcock my turkey this year. Then Im gonna slow roast it high over the wood Argentinian style.

Here are pics from last TG. The Meats were brine cured and then cold smoked for eight hours a few days before. On TG I cooked everything in a 500 degree oven. Old world style.

Thanks Giving is our biggest family holiday, more important than the others.

Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us