Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: refrigerator versus chest freezer  (Read 5724 times)

Offline birchvalleybrew

• 1st Kit
refrigerator versus chest freezer
« on: November 05, 2010, 10:44:32 am »
Having just started in the home arena, I have noticed many fellow brewers use small chest freezers for home brew refrigerators. Why is this?

BVB

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
Re: refrigerator versus chest freezer
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:08:38 am »
I like the kegerator setup of a chest freezer better than a regular fridge.  If it is for just keeping bottles, I think the fridge would work better.  Maybe they got the freezer first but are saving up for the kegging system.
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 01:43:43 pm »
I can't speak for others but in my case the chest freezer works great for 4 cornies and it was pretty cheap.  Also easy to put a collar on it to mount taps and easy to add an external temp controller to.

Before I started kegging I had a small dorm fridge to keep bottles in.  Basically the same reasons.  Cheap, easy and low maintenance.  Sold it after we replace the fridge in the kitchen.  Brought the old kitchen frdige downstairs with dreams of using it to lager.  Last time I looked in it, it was full of pop and juice boxes.   ::)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 01:48:16 pm »
Having just started in the home arena, I have noticed many fellow brewers use small chest freezers for home brew refrigerators. Why is this?

BVB

What are your intentions? Keeping beer cold for serving or for fermenting?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 01:50:37 pm »
One big plus for chest freezers is that when you open it up, all the cold are doesn't 'fall out' as it does in a fridge. If you go the extra mile & mount taps, then this isn't really important. But if you're opening it to use picnic taps then it's a consideration.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

beveragebob

« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 01:55:25 pm »
Always remember the flip side is that we are using the chest freezer as either an ferm chamber or fridge chamber. It was not designed for that and eventually it will break. At what rate I haven't a clue. I've had my 14 CF chest freezer for 13 years and it still works. I bought a 22CF Kenmore freezer back in '04 and the compressor died in '06. Go figure!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 01:59:51 pm »
Always remember the flip side is that we are using the chest freezer as either an ferm chamber or fridge chamber. It was not designed for that and eventually it will break. At what rate I haven't a clue. I've had my 14 CF chest freezer for 13 years and it still works. I bought a 22CF Kenmore freezer back in '04 and the compressor died in '06. Go figure!
If you're using a chest freezer at ridge temps, that should extend rather than shorten the life span of the unit.  You are stressing the mechanical components less than if you were trying to freeze it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 02:07:15 pm »
What kills compressors is short cycling. Just make sure you have the control adjusted properly to prevent this.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2010, 02:10:18 pm »
What kills compressors is short cycling. Just make sure you have the control adjusted properly to prevent this.

more detail, please!
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 02:22:33 pm »

more detail, please!

Most external digital 'fridge thermostats has a 'differential' adjustment.  If you set this very low, it will keep really tight control of the temp, but the compress will cycle on and off frequently.  Setting it higher should extend compressor life.
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2010, 02:44:05 pm »
How about "fuzzy logic"? Is this the same as "differential" adjustment?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2010, 03:32:22 pm »

more detail, please!

Most external digital 'fridge thermostats has a 'differential' adjustment.  If you set this very low, it will keep really tight control of the temp, but the compress will cycle on and off frequently.  Setting it higher should extend compressor life.

Most of them also have an anti-short cycle delay which lets you program a minimum interval between cycles.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 07:01:24 pm »
I have two chest freezers or "keezers" as some call them, one is in the process of being converted into a kegerator and the second one I use for a "fermentation control chamber".  I use a Johnson digital controller to regulate the temps. Most chest freezers need to be fitted with a collar in order to maximize the space and allow for the height of corny kegs. I prefer the chests over refrigerators because they can fit more kegs and...IMO are easier to maintain.
Ron Price

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 08:55:29 pm »
Looked hard at the freezers...... but between getting one and the thermostat setup it was too much $$. They're flying off the shelf on Craigslist here.....

So, I got a Sears fridge, up/down, freezer down. This way you don't have the hump in the bottom of the fridge. Took out all the shelves and it will fit 6 cornies easily, pin or ball with plenty of head space for plumbing. Taps are going in the door, there's no risk of running into refrigerant lines in the door.

Craigslist, $50 out the door, no additional electronics required.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2010, 09:58:24 pm »
Looked hard at the freezers...... but between getting one and the thermostat setup it was too much $$. They're flying off the shelf on Craigslist here.....

So, I got a Sears fridge, up/down, freezer down. This way you don't have the hump in the bottom of the fridge. Took out all the shelves and it will fit 6 cornies easily, pin or ball with plenty of head space for plumbing. Taps are going in the door, there's no risk of running into refrigerant lines in the door.

Craigslist, $50 out the door, no additional electronics required.

Jeez. No-ones giving stuff away around here like that. How many cf?