Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Color and the power of suggestion: SN Celebration Ale  (Read 2123 times)

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
Color and the power of suggestion: SN Celebration Ale
« on: December 30, 2010, 08:16:40 pm »
So I'm standing there enjoying a glass of SN Celebration, of course trying to figure out what might be in it, and thinking "forget the color, do you really taste any caramel flavor"?  Honestly, no.  Thanks to Gordon Strong's great reply to a post, that adding Black malt gives you red, I'm thinking "what if they just colored their base malt red to give the illusion of caramel"?  When I disregard the color, all I really taste is a good base malt and good hops.  What do you guys think?  Not just Celebration, maybe other IPA's too.
Kirk Howell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Color and the power of suggestion: SN Celebration Ale
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2010, 12:27:27 am »
When you put it that way it sounds reasonable. However, also could we consider that synergy and balance in a brew can have an effect of blurring the edges between flavors? Regardless, I thought Celebration had caramel tones. But it's been a few weeks since I've had it and my alcohol sodden brain might be wrong. ::)

But I see the point. A brewer believes people's perceptions is that darker means more complex. So they add some coloring. And they may be right.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Online hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 07:26:24 am »
The color is probably from the ~10% C-60 in the grist.  Steve Dressler gave the recipe for Celebration on the Brewing Network.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Kirk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Sparks, NV
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2010, 08:07:31 am »
I just went to the SN website, which I should have done before posting, and they give enough detail to crush any hastily prepared conspiracy theory.  Cheers and happy new year!
Kirk Howell

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2010, 08:42:10 am »
the caramel flavor is pretty evident too  ;)
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2010, 08:45:42 am »
the caramel flavor is pretty evident too  ;)

That's what I was gonna say!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2010, 11:24:38 am »
Does anybody know what "fresh hops" actually means on the label?  That's new this year.  It doesn't seem to me to taste like a fresh (wet) hop beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2010, 02:23:32 pm »
Does anybody know what "fresh hops" actually means on the label?  That's new this year.  It doesn't seem to me to taste like a fresh (wet) hop beer.

you are correct - its not wet hop, as in the Harvest Ale series, rather it is the first or "freshest" kilned/dried hops.

From what I understand, that has long thought to have been the 'secret' of Celebration and perhaps why they don't brew it year round as it captures the magic of the freshest of fresh hops.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 03:00:12 pm »

you are correct - its not wet hop, as in the Harvest Ale series, rather it is the first or "freshest" kilned/dried hops.

From what I understand, that has long thought to have been the 'secret' of Celebration and perhaps why they don't brew it year round as it captures the magic of the freshest of fresh hops.

When I was at the brewery in early Sept 09, they were just dry hopping Celebration (some of it w/ Torpedoes), and they were using their first shipment of that years hops.  So that is probably what they mean by "fresh hops."  Got to drink some of it out of the tank, and holy frick that was one hoppy beer.