General Category > Extract/Partial Mash Brewing

Should I begin doing a full boil?

(1/3) > >>

goybar:
Hi All,

New to the forum.

I haven't brewed anything in about 10 years.  

Decided to start up again.

If I'm brewing with extracts only, do I need to or should I do a full volume wort boil?  Or is it OK to only boil a portion and have the rest of the water in the fermenter?

Thank you,

Chris

tom:
A concentrated boil will decrease hop utilization and darken the wort. No big deal. Just adjust your bittering hops for the concentrated boil and you're good to go.

deepsouth:
i'm pretty new to homebrewing and did my first half a dozen batches inside on the stove doing partial boils, but the time it took me to get just 3 gallons of water to boil is what ultimately did me in and i went out and bought a ten gallon pot and a bayou classic burner.  of course that lasted six batches and i just ordered an all grain system from northern brewer this week.

good luck whatever you choose and welcome back into the hobby!!!!!

tomthebrewer:
IMO, I think full-volume boils are worth it. Like has been said before, partial-volume boils decrease hop utilization and darken the beer. If you have the means, I'd do so. It will take longer to cool, but I think you'll see an improvement in you finished product.

slimsparty:
you can always buy more stuff...or build it.  It is really easy to make an immersion chiller out of soft copper.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version