Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fizz problem...  (Read 5252 times)

Offline octess

• Cellarman
  • the octess project
fizz problem...
« on: November 06, 2010, 07:08:53 pm »
Hi all! I'm new to this site and I recently brewed an all-grain english pale ale. Everything went cool and tasted good but the beer has been sitting in the corny's for 2 weeks with 13PSI marked on the CO2 gage and the brew is still flat...
Can't satisfy my urge before figuring out what's happening with thy bubbles! Help!!! ???
Viva el art of brewing alchemy!

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
Re: fizz problem...
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 07:17:02 pm »
How flat? you have checked all of your connections and valves for being properly connected I assume. How old is your guage?

Offline octess

• Cellarman
  • the octess project
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 07:39:53 pm »
everything is plugged. gauges are OK... there is definitely pressure in there, but not in the glass!
lines are adequate lenght, no leaks.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 11:21:18 pm »
First of all welcome to the AHA forum!

You will plenty of responses.

My opinion: You have a leak or your gauge is whack. If I was a betting man (I am) then my money's on the "leak." Check again. The keg too. It might be the lid isn't seated properly, the posts leaking or even the pressure release valve. Is it a single keg system? if not what about the other kegs?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 11:42:18 pm »
Even if it's leaking, if the gauge is accurate the beer will be picking up CO2.  The beer doesn't "know" if the 13psi comes from a single dose of gas or if it's leaking out and more gas is flowing in to take its place.  Just that there's 13 psi.

Assuming you have it at a reasonable temp, I'm guessing the gauge is off.  One thing I have often found with my gauges is that when I turn them down they are off by several psi.  To fix it, I turn it down until the gauge reads below my desired set point, then turn it back up until the needle gets to the right point.  Alternatively you can vent the keg and watch where the needle returns to.  It's worth checking.

You can also check the gauge if you know someone who has their own setup.  Just take the keg to them and have them pressurize to 13 psi, if gas flows in then your gauge is off.

Oh, and just as a sanity check - the gas is really connected?  And all shutoff valves leading to the keg are open?  I've pressurized kegs and then turned off or taken off the gas for one reason or another, then forgotten to put it back on. ::)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 11:55:11 pm »
I mean what is flat anyway. Some carbonation will have to occurred even if the gauge was off, right? I went to Tastybrew's Keg calculator and 1.5 volumes would only need 1.4psi at 40F. For 2.6 volumes you'd need 13.4 psi. Is 1.5 volumes considered flat? Tom I'm deferring to your expertise. :D

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 12:13:41 am »
I mean what is flat anyway. Some carbonation will have to occurred even if the gauge was off, right? I went to Tastybrew's Keg calculator and 1.5 volumes would only need 1.4psi at 40F. For 2.6 volumes you'd need 13.4 psi. Is 1.5 volumes considered flat? Tom I'm deferring to your expertise. :D

;D
Depends - are you used to drinking BMC or cask ale?

I haven't seen a temp mentioned at all, so if 13 psi is accurate but it's sitting at room temp in the OPs house it will be under 1.5 volumes.  That could seem really flat for what you're expecting from a cream ale.  And if the gauge reads high then it will be even lower.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 12:25:20 am »
Hmm the onion being peeled. Now we need a response from octess to clarify some things. ;)

Offline octess

• Cellarman
  • the octess project
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 07:31:35 am »
Thanks guys!!
really cool to read your responses, makes me feel like I'm not alone!!!
so here's the info:
both the kegs are at 5 celcius degrees, they have been in the fridge since the kegging day (2 weeks ago) and the gauges do read 13PSI on both since then. I only have 1 keg linked up to the tap lines yet so I haven't check about the fizz in the other one. I'll check the gauge and vent the keg, thanks for the tip! yesterday I raised the pressure to 20 PSI to see, I'll pour another glass later on today to note if there are any changes. the two preceding 40 litres batches sort of gave me the same lack of bubbles, though they were not completely flat like this one... REALLY starting to wonder about the existence of hobgoblins in my basement...
I'm just about ready to keg another 80 litres (40L dunkelweizen and 40L english bitter) so...

Offline octess

• Cellarman
  • the octess project
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 07:22:16 pm »
moreover, the gauge from the co2 tank (going toward the kegerator of course) now reads 20 PSI (since I've raised it yesterday) and so do the 2 regulators on each tap. I've tried a glass from the other keg and it doesn't have any more bubbles than the first one...
still puzzled...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 07:34:31 pm »
At 20 psi it's not shooting out as a glass of foam?  That's a lot of pressure to be pushing the beer, especially if it was pouring at 13 psi with the same setup.  What is your beer line length and diameter?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline octess

• Cellarman
  • the octess project
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 08:42:41 pm »
lenght is about 7 foot and diameter is a quarter inch...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 09:03:58 pm »
Ok, I'm going to say you don't have 13 or 20 psi in your kegs.  According to morebeer, 1/4 inch PVC line restricts flow at .65 lbs per foot.  Assuming similar tubing, at 7' length and 1/4" you're looking at less than 5 lbs restriction.  The beer should be shooting out of the faucet at both 13 and 20 psi.  Either your gauge is wrong or there is some obstruction in the system.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline octess

• Cellarman
  • the octess project
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 05:40:00 am »
I'll check and double check upon that, thanks for the tip!

Offline octess

• Cellarman
  • the octess project
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 07:49:49 am »
pressure has been at 28 PSI for 2 days... when pouring a pint, it pours pretty strongly out! but the beer doesn't seem to have much bubbles (in quantity and size) and after 5 minutes the foam completely vanishes and so do the bubbles in the beer...
could some kind of obstruction in the line or the keg itself be responsible for that? I haven't check the accuracy of the regulators yet but guessing from the pressure the beer pour out of there, I'm assuming they are accurately reading. :-\