Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Any Motorcycle riders?  (Read 10724 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Any Motorcycle riders?
« on: November 08, 2010, 12:22:51 am »
My first was a 1998 Suzuki VZ800 (Marauder) What a beautiful bike that was. Lowered the seat and put HD drag bars on it. Everyone thought it was a Harley. I was dumbfounded.

The second was a Brit import- a 1983 Honda CBX 550F. Nice bike but I was a little too heavy for for the cc's. I added a cafe-style cowling which I painted candy cinnamon to match the paint job . Sold it because I was worried about the cam tensioner spring. A tricky fix and didn't want go down that road.

The one I have now is a 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX 750F. Inline four but not fuel injected. Always runs smooth though. It had been dropped on it's side by the previous owners(s). I spent an entire spring break but after 50 hours work ended up with a repaired and completely repainted bike. Now I know why the painters get paid big bucks. Nice bike. Fast.

Noticed there's not as many bikes on the road as there used to be.  ???

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Any Motorcycle riders?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 01:10:24 am »
I've got an SV650 daily driver and an 1100 Kat which is in pieces for the time being.

Actually tomorrow is supposed to be nice enough I'll probably ride it into work for the first time in a while.  It's been in the 30's and apparently I am not as dedicated of a rider as I used to be.  Next weekend is probably it's last for the winter.

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 02:58:34 am »
Good idea - start a new thread.

I ride a 2003 Triumph Bonneville T100. I brought it over to Belgium from the US and rode it to the homeland (England) a couple years ago so she could check out her roots. I rode to Prague last summer for a bit of beer tourism. Fantastic trip, but it was a bit of a long ride.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 05:18:08 am »
I still have the same bike I bought in 1978, a '71 BMW R75/5.  I think I've ridden it 20 miles in the past three or four years.  It looks nice, mostly restored.  Maybe I'll get the carbs working properly and ride it some before it gets too cold.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 06:58:52 am »
Been riding bikes since I was 8yrs old, did 6yrs of racing all over the southeast- daytona,road atlanta,sebring,ect.... :D

My street bike is a `92 Honda  VFR400  NC30 JDM-spec with derestricted ignition, Yamamoto racing exhaust and other goodies ;) 

Have same color scheme as this>
http://motorbike-search-engine.co.uk/classic-bikes-2/1992-VFR-400R.jpg

Some info on this very unique bike>
http://www.simonevans.co.uk/v-four/vfr400.htm
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 07:03:17 am by uthristy »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 07:41:23 am »
Been riding bikes since I was 8yrs old, did 6yrs of racing all over the southeast- daytona,road atlanta,sebring,ect.... :D

+1

Started riding dirt bikes when I was about 10yrs old.  Started racing motorcross at age 12.
I used to ride 8hrs a day everyday during summer breaks while in school.
I started riding street bikes as soon as I was old enough to get a license and have been riding ever since.
So yes, motorcycles are a part of my life. I presently own a 2009 HD Road King Classic.
I don't ride as much as would like, about 3-5K per year.

I'll try to post a pic when I am able.
Ron Price

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 08:22:01 am »
Any Motorcycle riders?

Not since I wrecked my 750 Bonneville and they found the blood stain 400 paces from
what was left of the bike....I regained consciousness a week later. It looked like someone
flattened the back of my helmet with a disk grinder...you could see light thru the remnant
of the fiberglass...helmets rule!

I do however own and ride an All Terrain Vehicle....in a sensable fashion...slow & steady...
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 08:56:54 am »

02 roadstar warrior here

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 09:23:23 am »
Hell to the yeah! Dirtbikes, then sportbikes. Current bike '97 Kawasaki ZX7R w/ plenty of aftermarket goodies. LOVE the twisties and track days. Not mine but representative:

A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 10:01:56 am »
02 roadstar warrior here

I thought I remembered you having something badass.

I have an '04 Honda 919. No pictures, though.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 12:22:22 pm »
I've been riding since 1967. Started with a 250cc Ducati! Rode that thing everywhere.
Had a Norton Atlas for awhile, couple of Honda's and Yamaha's.
Currently riding a '05 Yamaha FJR13. Great bike.
Installed a PC Commander, Holeshot headers/pipes, opened up the airbox.
Working on getting the suspension upgraded and the seat improved.
Great bike, runs great, I'm getting old (62) so I only ride it at 7/10's but its fun knowing it there when I want to open it up!
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 12:25:44 pm »
I'll need to dig up some pics too.

Time to charge the battery and get her started up. Weather's getting nice here for riding protective gear.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 01:57:56 pm »
I've been all over the board with bikes. Started out with a '68 Honda 50 Mini Trail. Then a '70 Montesa Cappra 125 MX, '78 Yamaha 750 Special, 1977 Suzuki TS 125, a bit of a hiatus, 1996 Harley XL 1200S Sport and now a 2008 Yamaha XT225.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 04:35:10 pm »
02 roadstar warrior here

I thought I remembered you having something badass.

Hey, thanks man.  I like to think its pretty bad ass, even if it is only 100 hp.

I used to be into motorcycles as much as I was into homebrew. But, while I still ride, I just don't quite get as excited about it any more. I do still enjoy riding. Just wish I had more time to do it. 90% of the time I would ride to work but I have to pick up the kids or run some errand or another so mostly if just sits now.

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2010, 05:55:24 pm »
1990 HD 1200 Sportster XLCS

Bought brand new Sept 21st 1989 - the day hurricane Hugo hit Charleston. Rode it home in the rain.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee