Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast Old Ale Blend  (Read 6975 times)

Offline mrbounds

• Cellarman
Wyeast Old Ale Blend
« on: November 08, 2010, 05:23:57 am »
Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of trying out the Wyeast private collection offering of the Old Ale Blend. After reading about this I see that it has a little bit of Brett in the blend, so I was wondering if I would need to be careful with this and use separate equipment etc to ensure future batches aren't contaminated or if the amount is so small as the effect would not be enough to worry about.

Thanks in advance!

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Wyeast Old Ale Blend
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 06:09:35 am »
I think that I'd be worried about spreading the brett around no matter how small an amount was included in the blend.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 06:44:55 am »
I used it last year, made the best old ale I ever had! Only "special precaution" I used was to use an old racking cane. This was over a year ago, with no issues in the dozens of meads, ciders, and ales I have made since. Proper sanitation, discard the plastic tubing after use, no worries.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 08:41:50 am »
Anyone know what strain of Brett is in this blend?

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 10:51:26 am »
I believe it is Brett C

Offline smoga

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2010, 11:01:39 am »
The strain is Brett Bruxellensis. That's straight from Jess Caudill at Wyeast Labs

Made a brew using this yeast March of 09 -
The OG was 1.110 the FG around 1.039 - It took around  3 months for Brett character to kick in.
Once you see the pellicle form, then you know the Brett has done it's thing.  
Really great example of the sweet & sour you can get with the right balance of a big beer and brett
Scored a 38 in this year's NHC under 17C (Flanders Brown/Oud Bruin)

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
    • ALES Club
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2010, 11:43:02 am »
The strain is Brett Bruxellensis. That's straight from Jess Caudill at Wyeast Labs

Made a brew using this yeast March of 09 -
The OG was 1.110 the FG around 1.039 - It took around  3 months for Brett character to kick in.
Once you see the pellicle form, then you know the Brett has done it's thing.  
Really great example of the sweet & sour you can get with the right balance of a big beer and brett
Scored a 38 in this year's NHC under 17C (Flanders Brown/Oud Bruin)

I thought it was Brett B.  I emailed Wyeast to confirm, but hadn't heard back yet.  Brett B seems an odd choice for making an "old ale," I would think A or C would be more appropriate, but I haven't seen much feedback either from people who have used this yeast to make old ale/barleywine/imperial stout.

Are you saying you entered that massive beer as a Flanders Brown?  And even after aging, it only finished at 1.039?  That seems really high.

Offline smoga

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 12:45:42 pm »
I agree, it was too big for the style, but it's a unique way to get that sweet/sour balance in a beer without resorting to using lactobacillus (Which I don't really care for)
Next time around I will try it with "only" 16lbs of Maris otter (vs. 20) to bring out more of the Brett character.

I have 6 bottles left and I will enter 3 of them in next years NHC under 19A - old ale...

Oh, and yes, I did throw the dregs of this yeast on top of a gallon of Russian Imperial Stout, and I do not recommend it. I can understand why there are no sour stouts around. The combination of lots o hops, sour and roasty notes is not good. Blech.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2010, 10:22:53 am »
Oh, and yes, I did throw the dregs of this yeast on top of a gallon of Russian Imperial Stout, and I do not recommend it. I can understand why there are no sour stouts around. The combination of lots o hops, sour and roasty notes is not good. Blech.
I've had one that I can remember, a commercial Belgian Stout that was definitely sour.  I agree, it was not pleasant.   :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2010, 10:28:50 am »
Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of trying out the Wyeast private collection offering of the Old Ale Blend. After reading about this I see that it has a little bit of Brett in the blend, so I was wondering if I would need to be careful with this and use separate equipment etc to ensure future batches aren't contaminated or if the amount is so small as the effect would not be enough to worry about.

Thanks in advance!

A little bit of brett might turn into a little more brett so I would handle it as such.  In other words, I would qaurantine the beer by using dedicated equipment (fermenters, etc...).
Ron Price

Offline fulltun

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 12:48:48 pm »
I have worked with brett for four or five beers and I have the Old Ale yeast.  I also made a beer with the Belgian Blend that has Brett and the Imperial Blend.  Never had any problems.  I agree with stlaleman, all you need is good sanitation, and anything plastic that the beer touches has to be used for only sour beers.  Glass or metal can be cleaned with PBW and Star San.  That is what I use and like I said I have had no cross contamination. Some crappy beers, but no infection. :D

Offline 6thstreet

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 12:54:47 pm »
I used this in an old ale that I made about a year and a half ago.  It really is very good.  Just a bit of sour but definitely not too much.  It is the only old ale Ive made so I wish I would have pitched something a little more neutral in one of the fermenters so that I would be able to compare between the two.

Offline mrbounds

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 09:50:50 am »
Thanks for all your responses very informative.

So my next question is that if I wanted to brew an old ale but not use the Wyeast blend could I come up with something similar using White Labs products? Would I be able to use a traditional "British Ale" strain for the primary and then add a bacteria culture to the secondary to give the funkiness? If so how much of the brett would I need to add in the secondary (1 vial / make a starter ) and which brett would be the best choice?

Thanks again for your advice.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
    • ALES Club
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 04:24:51 pm »
Thanks for all your responses very informative.

So my next question is that if I wanted to brew an old ale but not use the Wyeast blend could I come up with something similar using White Labs products? Would I be able to use a traditional "British Ale" strain for the primary and then add a bacteria culture to the secondary to give the funkiness? If so how much of the brett would I need to add in the secondary (1 vial / make a starter ) and which brett would be the best choice?

Thanks again for your advice.

I have used the White Labs Brett C in a historical stout.  Brett C isn't a super attenuator, but you do get a nice character from it that I think works well in english styles.

Offline mrbounds

• Cellarman
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 05:48:20 pm »
So for your historical stout did you pitch the brett into the secondary or did you pitch into primary along with the "main strain"?