General Category > Yeast and Fermentation

< 48 Hr. Primary Fermentation?

(1/3) > >>

my99thtry:
Signs of fermentation have stopped after 48 hrs.

I pitched my yeast at 5pm on Sunday.  Signs of vigorous fermentation were visible through the airlock on Monday morning and still going strong on Tuesday morning.  However by 6pm Tuesday evening all activity in the airlock stopped.  No bubbling through the airlock.

What does this mean?

Here is some background info:
- Brown Ale
- Wyeast 1272
- Activated smack-pack on Saturday night before brewing (I believe I followed all directions from my homebrew store and packaging)
- Cooled Wort to ~ 75 F and pitched
- Original Gravity: 1051
- Aerated through stirring pitched wort
- Primary fermentor is 6.5 gallon plastic bucket (from standard brew kit)
- Fermentation temperature has been a steady 67 - 68 deg. F

Kaiser:
What's the current gravity?

Kai

a10t2:
I think most people would agree that 75°F is too warm to pitch. How are you measuring the temperature during fermentation? If 67°F is the temperature of the air, the beer could be quite a bit warmer (in fact, it probably never got much below 75°F), which would explain the fast fermentation.

majorvices:
Agree, 75 is a bit warm. I would never advise pitching over 68-70 degrees, and preferably a few degrees cooler than this. Are you sure the fermentation temp, which will be 4-6+ degrees over ambient temp, was 67-68? If so that would mean your house (or fermentation control unit, whatever you use) was set around 62 degrees.

Regardless, let it sit another couple of days and then check the gravity.

bluesman:

--- Quote from: majorvices on November 25, 2009, 04:18:20 AM ---Agree, 75 is a bit warm. I would never advise pitching over 68-70 degrees, and preferably a few degrees cooler than this. Are you sure the fermentation temp, which will be 4-6+ degrees over ambient temp, was 67-68? If so that would mean your house (or fermentation control unit, whatever you use) was set around 62 degrees.

Regardless, let it sit another couple of days and then check the gravity.

--- End quote ---

+1

Eventhough the airlock activity has ceased the yeast has not necessarily finished it's job. I usually allow some extra time after I acheive my targeted attenuation to allow the residual yeast in suspension to fall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version