Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Priming/Bottle Conditioning with Molassas  (Read 2303 times)

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
Priming/Bottle Conditioning with Molassas
« on: October 25, 2010, 11:37:17 pm »
I made a Baltic porter and added 8 oz of Grandma's Molasses (by weight, not fluid oz) to the end of the boil.  Having tasted a few times when testing gravity and during trans to secondary, I think I want to prime with molasses to get some more from it. I have the formula from Mr. Wizard at BYO (http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/21-carbonation/1726-maple-carbonation-a-pitching-rates-mr-wizard) (I do need to insert the brix for the molasses which I got from the manufacturer) but I don't know if the answer should be by weight or by fluid oz.  Any ideas or expieriences? 
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Priming/Bottle Conditioning with Molassas
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:50:17 pm »
I'm pretty sure he's talking about ounces of weight in that article.

I force carbonate, so don't have any experience using molasses or honey or anything along those lines.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline monomer77

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:50:15 pm »
John Palmer's book, How to Brew, refers to the fermentability of sugars and the extract yield.

Corn sugar has 42 ppg extract yield and 100% fermentable.

Molasses is 36 ppg extract yield and 90% fermentable.

I'd use 20% more molasses than your usual corn sugar amount. That'd be a good starting spot, I'd guess.

Offline CASK1

• Cellarman
  • Jacksonville, FL
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 07:12:23 am »
I had the same issue with a smoked maple barleywine. Added maple syrup at the end of the boil, but at racking to the secondary, the maple was barely detectable. I primed with maple syrup at my usual corn sugar rate plus 25%. The carbonation level is ideal, although the flavor contribution was barely noticeable.