Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: SMaSH recipe  (Read 6050 times)

Offline violaleebrews

• Cellarman
  • "the bottle was dusty, but the liquor was clean"
SMaSH recipe
« on: November 08, 2010, 07:11:24 pm »
i've been reading about "SMaSH" recipies lately and have been considering doing something like that.  as usual, when i've got an idea in mind Zymurgy will have an article in the next addition.  with that article in mind, does anyone have any additional trial-and-error or success-story tips they'd care to share with a SMaSH recipe? 

i'm looking to highlight the grain with a mild hoppy accent rather than the other way around.  sounds like Marris Otter is a popular choice for lighter pale ales and ipa's, but without modifying any of the grain on my own, i'm wondering specifically what might work for a somewhat darker, sweeter ale (possibly even a lager - considering the cold michigan winters i've been enduring lately). 

thanks, in advance, for any input.

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
Re: SMaSH recipe
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 09:38:31 pm »
pilsner and saaz is a classic
for a darker brew (and a lager to boot), a dunkel would work well.  All dark munich malt and all hallertau hops.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 12:44:28 am »
It usually is a success for me if I have the water right. I did do a SMASH with Perle. It tasted like I was drinking potting soil. I never noticed Perle's "earthy-side" until it was used it at 60,20,10 and 5 in what constituted as an Amber ale. Used Briess 2-row. Cleared up after some conditioning or maybe I just got used to it...

So I guess my point is consider the entirety of a hop's character. Nearly poured that beer out until I realized (pointed out to me) that the hops were making the beer taste that way.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 09:07:40 am »
I have been thinking about this as well. As it gets cooler here is northern Cali I might try something british for a change. I will be watching this thread for ideas from now on.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline phished880

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 08:00:26 pm »
Up next for me is Marris Otter/ whitbread goldings, and WLP007. Shooting for 1.055 SG and 25-30 IBU

I've never used WGV and heard the have a very interesting. I guess I will soon find out.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 11:42:57 pm »
I am doing a 2 row (Briess I think, Have to look) and California Ivanhoe Barley wine. So I guess that is a SMaSH although I will be adding some maple syrup so maybe not

**EDIT** not briess, Gambrinus Pale Ale malt. so it's canadian.

Also pulled a cascade SMaSH small beer from this mash
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 09:36:40 am by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 08:41:34 am »
It usually is a success for me if I have the water right. I did do a SMASH with Perle. It tasted like I was drinking potting soil. I never noticed Perle's "earthy-side" until it was used it at 60,20,10 and 5 in what constituted as an Amber ale. Used Briess 2-row. Cleared up after some conditioning or maybe I just got used to it...

So I guess my point is consider the entirety of a hop's character. Nearly poured that beer out until I realized (pointed out to me) that the hops were making the beer taste that way.

I haven't noticed that with Perle hops yet, I don't think.  Although I have brewed an all Perle beer before, maybe I didn't use enough.

By the way, has the sparkle in the dudes teeth in your avatar always been there?  I JUST noticed it.  I'm sure it does that in the good, the bad, and the ugly haha
Jesse

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 09:33:17 am »
Up next for me is Marris Otter/ whitbread goldings, and WLP007. Shooting for 1.055 SG and 25-30 IBU

I've never used WGV and heard the have a very interesting. I guess I will soon find out.
MO is a great base malt and can be left all alone in the mash tun and the use of 007 is great with an English beer  ;)  I've never worked with Whitbread Goldings either.  They don't seem to be too easy to get.
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 10:01:22 am »
One nice thing to try is toasting your Maris Otter -- it tastes exactly like roasted peanuts!  I think I put it in a 350 F oven for 20 minutes or something like that, and the peanut flavor, unintentional, was astounding.  I wanted to have it taste more toasty, sort of like Munich, but instead it was distinctly peanutty.  With it, I made an American IPA with (I believe) Cascade hops, and I enjoyed it very much.  You can try toasting all sorts of base malts, and the flavors can be quite surprising.  Just an idea if you get bored sometime.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 10:03:20 am »
Did the peanutty flavor come through in the finished beer?  Or do you think it may have been masked by the hops in the IPA?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 10:11:05 am »
The peanuttiness came through LOUD and clear in my IPA.  No problem there at all -- it was the perfect balance to all the hops.

Another thing I want to try sometime is a 100% rye malt beer.  I've done 40% before, and it was nothing like I expected.  It's not spicy, but rather very thick and chewy, and gives the creamiest head and mouthfeel that I've ever experienced in my life.  Goes great with Hallertauer hops.  If I did it again, I'd mash low and slow at like 147 F for 90 minutes and use a highly attenuative yeast to get it as dry as possible so that you could taste the flavor of the rye more than just the mouthfeel of it, which to me is its most significant benefit.  The flavor is bready and mild, not at all like I might have guessed based on everyone saying "it's spicy".  No, it's not, unless it's coming from your German hops.  I know a lot of people disagree with me, but try it for yourself sometime.  You might be very surprised.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline cuttsjp

• 1st Kit
    • Jeff's Delicious Homebrew Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 10:13:18 am »
pilsner and saaz is a classic

I agree with the Pilsner and Saaz, especially if you want to do something different.  You could do a sort of Patersbier recipe and ferment it with a Belgian yeast, then you could have a really nice Belgian Table beer (particularly because of the complex nature of Belgian yeast)
Primary: Limerick Session Stout, Hogsmeade Mild Ale
Secondary: Der Winterweizen Weizenbock
Bottled: will have stuff soon!
Drinking: Rogue Mead
On Deck: BowThai Ale, then something big and hoppy!

Read my blog at http://cuttshomebrew.blogspot.com

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 12:16:06 pm »
By the way, has the sparkle in the dudes teeth in your avatar always been there?  I JUST noticed it.  I'm sure it does that in the good, the bad, and the ugly haha

Haha thanks for noticing. Incorporated that in a few weeks ago. Just a subtlety to keep things amusing.  ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 01:06:52 pm »

Haha thanks for noticing. Incorporated that in a few weeks ago. Just a subtlety to keep things amusing.  ::)
Indeed, I am amused.
Jesse