Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First ESB  (Read 3861 times)

Offline sharg54

• 1st Kit
First ESB
« on: February 26, 2011, 12:49:57 am »
I have been thinking about making an ESB and have looked at the guidelines for one and have to admit it looks like it's totally open to ones own interpretation as how to make it. Moderately low to moderately high this and that and well if you look at the style guide lines you will see what I mean. It says it can have a "somewhat strong caramelly malt sweetness" and background malt flavors and the like. I guess this is more a question of how to mash it rather than what to put in it. From all the recipes I have looked at most of the people one step the mash but I just don't feel this will give the profile I'm looking for. I have had Redhook ESB that was talked about in the guide as an example but I feel it should have been a little more directed to the malt side of it and it is more on the bitterness side of the scale. Is this something I should consider Decoction (more than likely trashed that spelling) mashing to pull the malts forward or would that push it out of the guide lines? I normally step mash but I don't feel that will pull the malts forward enough.

This is the recipe I have come up with for my first one. I figure to keep it simple and the hops are what I have on hand right now.

9 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
2 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1.00 oz Brewer's Gold [9.00 %] (60 min) Hops 27.4 IBU
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.20 %] (60 min) Hops 6.4 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.20 %] (20 min) Hops 7.7 IBU
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc 
1 Pkgs English Ale (White Labs #WLP002) Yeast-Ale

SRM 16 a bit on the high side
IBU 43
OG 1.057

I think I need to stay on the high side of the bitterness to balance out the malt flavor I'm looking for. A little on the sweet and Caramel side and a nice hops presence.. So what do you think single step it, multi step mash or decoction say a two or 3 step?

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
Re: First ESB
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 03:18:38 am »
Tradition calls for a single step mash.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 03:53:48 am »

+1, and it wouldn't traditionally be decoction mashed.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 04:09:08 am »

+1 to the single step mash.  When I make my ESB I perform a single step infusion at 156 deg.F.

Offline sharg54

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 08:46:29 am »
tradition calls for it I know but will it pull out the malt. I have looked at a few bits of info about decoction mash and thay state that a single decoction could be used on this type of brew to bring the malt out more. Is there anyone who has done this before and if so how did it work out.? Tradition isn't my strong point but I also don't want something to sweet to drink. ???
People keep telling me it's not rocket science... I like rockets..

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 09:35:44 am »
Traditional called for the British to leave the decoctions to the Germans and Czechs.

I think your crystal malts are at too high of a percentage, but that is my take on an ESB.

You could listen to the Brewing Network "Can You Brew It" episodes on Fullers and the ESB clone attempts.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline sharg54

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 12:25:09 pm »
Yeah thay just may be a little on the high side. I'll have to look into the brewers net when I get back to my computer.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 12:36:52 pm »
Not one for tradition myself but I do respect that things are made a certain way for a reason.

Also agree that the style guidelines leave a large window open for interpretation. But, that is why I like brewing bitters. Ray Daniels's Designing Great Beers is where I go to initially build a beer. He's gotten me closer than puzzling through the BJCP guidelines.

The 80L looks a little heavy handed at 16% Reducing it to 6-8% would bring you more in line.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 01:35:23 pm »
Traditional called for the British to leave the decoctions to the Germans and Czechs.

I think your crystal malts are at too high of a percentage, but that is my take on an ESB.

You could listen to the Brewing Network "Can You Brew It" episodes on Fullers and the ESB clone attempts.

It's open to interpretation, but FWIW Fuller's ESB is 95% Pale Ale malt and 5% Dark Crystal
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 01:54:27 pm »

It's open to interpretation, but FWIW Fuller's ESB is 95% Pale Ale malt and 5% Dark Crystal

Yes, that is what John Keeling says often.  The US bottled versions have a higher amount of crystal, maybe 10%.  16% in the recipe is too much in my opinion.  I think 10% is on the high side for my taste.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 01:58:50 pm »

Yes, that is what John Keeling says often.  The US bottled versions have a higher amount of crystal, maybe 10%.  16% in the recipe is too much in my opinion.  I think 10% is on the high side for my taste.

As a Brit who regularly drinks ESB and London Pride (part of the same partigyle) on cask rather than in bottles, the 5% seems about right, when used with the Fuller's yeast which isn't as attenuative as some of the other London or British yeasts. I wonder  if some haven't boosted crystal to get a lower attenuation rather than using a less attenuative yeast.
Bristol Craft Brewers

Offline sharg54

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 02:46:25 pm »
Dropped the crystal down to about 7 % and readjusted the hops a bit to keep the wife happy. I'm still up in the air about this one. I did give the pot cast a listen as well but I think I'm going to have to check out Ray Daniels's book again and give it another look as well. May just end up getting a copy for my self as it's nice to have on hand and has a lot of good info in regards to designing a brew.