Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using wort for priming sugar  (Read 3508 times)

Offline jgl2ltts

• 1st Kit
Using wort for priming sugar
« on: November 08, 2010, 07:16:44 pm »
1.  Is there a routine calculation I can use to determine how much of the wort should be used to prime my beer for bottling?

2.  I fear that using priming sugar (corn sugar, or even table sugar) my cause a tongue coating film sensation on the tongue after drinking the beer.  If this fear is unfounded, what else in an all grain recipe could cause that?

- - A recent Belgian Pale Ale recipe sampled before priming sugar was add left my palate clean, after adding 6oz corn sugar and 1oz table sugar (sorry, I ran out of corn sugar and used 1oz table sugar in desperation) to a six gallon batch it leaves a distinct coating sensation on my tongue after drinking the beer.

I know you veterans can set me strain on this rookie dilemma.

- Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Using wort for priming sugar
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 01:00:13 am »
1.  Is there a routine calculation I can use to determine how much of the wort should be used to prime my beer for bottling?

2.  I fear that using priming sugar (corn sugar, or even table sugar) my cause a tongue coating film sensation on the tongue after drinking the beer.  If this fear is unfounded, what else in an all grain recipe could cause that?

- - A recent Belgian Pale Ale recipe sampled before priming sugar was add left my palate clean, after adding 6oz corn sugar and 1oz table sugar (sorry, I ran out of corn sugar and used 1oz table sugar in desperation) to a six gallon batch it leaves a distinct coating sensation on my tongue after drinking the beer.

I know you veterans can set me strain on this rookie dilemma.

- Jim

I think you're talking about body and mouthfeel which can be affected by carbonation. But, is this something you've experienced before? Or admire in favorite styles?

As far as calculations people use wort, extract etc. http://tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 04:54:25 am »
Are you referring to an astringent, drying sensation on your tongue?

Priming sugar shouldn't really affect the flavor or mouthfeel much since you're using so little of it and it ferments out completely.  The carbonation may be bringing out some flavor or sensation that's already in the beer though.

If you really want to try using wort to prime there's an article on Kai's site:  http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Kraeusening

Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline jgl2ltts

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 07:29:21 pm »
Excellent links!  Thanks for the info. 

Perhaps that "tongue coating" sensation will go away once the beer is carbonated fully.  I've never noticed the sensation in other beers I've made or sampled, but I've heared a few people complain that extract beer recipes cause that sensation.   I'm a veteran craft beer drinker, but not very familiar with the pitfalls extract beer.  Whatever the case, I'm sticking with all-grain; I expect it will produce a more genuine craft beer / homebrew in the end.

- Jim