Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Baked beans  (Read 3400 times)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
Baked beans
« on: May 22, 2011, 10:53:05 pm »
 I HATE baked beans. But, a bug crawled up my butt today, and I decided I wanted to make some. so, with wreckless abandon, I threw some crap in a baking dish. DEAR LORD!!! I have never tasted anything quite like this. It was simply amazing!!
 I did cheat a little, for my base, I just opened a large can of Bush beans. To that, I added a palm full of brown sugar, about 3/4 of a package of shredded cheddar cheese, three strips of bacon (it was all I had) a couple spoonfulls of the bacon grease, and the finishing touch.......a goodsplash of Jim Beam. Gave it a good mixing, and into the oven for half an hour.
  My life will never be the same. 
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Baked beans
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 11:40:14 pm »
Bush's baked beans are badass.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 02:23:44 am »
I HATE baked beans. But, a bug crawled up my butt today, and I decided I wanted to make some. so, with wreckless abandon, I threw some crap in a baking dish. DEAR LORD!!! I have never tasted anything quite like this. It was simply amazing!!
 I did cheat a little, for my base, I just opened a large can of Bush beans. To that, I added a palm full of brown sugar, about 3/4 of a package of shredded cheddar cheese, three strips of bacon (it was all I had) a couple spoonfulls of the bacon grease, and the finishing touch.......a goodsplash of Jim Beam. Gave it a good mixing, and into the oven for half an hour.
  My life will never be the same. 

Neither will your family's.  Hot tip of the day:  Beano
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 12:34:58 pm »
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/boston-baked-beans/Detail.aspx

I'm trying to make these.

I soaked the beans over night.  They became all bubbly.  There is a one-inch high head on top, better head than I've had from some of the beers I've made.

Why does my kitchen smell like farts now?  :(

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 11:21:17 pm »
BFI did you rinse the beans first? If not rinsed well before soaking they can start fermenting pretty quickly. And quite frankly, there's few things nastier than fermenting soaking beans. :-X No good to you now. Throw them away and start over.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 11:25:52 pm »
BFI did you rinse the beans first? If not rinsed well before soaking they can start fermenting pretty quickly. And quite frankly, there's few things nastier than fermenting soaking beans. :-X No good to you now. Throw them away and start over.
Andrew Zimmern would let em ferment for 100 days in earthen crocks just to get the correct flavor and texture....
Just sayin you may not have to throw em out...let em go wild....think Korean Cusine.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 11:45:46 pm »
Zimmern has his limits. Draws the line at durian fruit. I've only had the accidental fermentation occur with beans. It isn't pretty. Give it a try. :)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 02:18:25 am »
You got a problem with durian?   ???
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 09:07:09 am »
Baked Beans are DA BOMB, pun intended....  I find it very difficult to eat BBQ (Ribs, Pulled Pork, Brisket, Chicken, etc...) without Baked Beans. Homemade especially. Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 09:12:50 am »
One time a group of us cooks found a cambro of old refried beans that had gone bad.  The smell was absolutely awful.

So of course we stuck it in the server's microwave out front and let it go for a few minutes on high. They were not happy. ;D

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 12:40:11 pm »
I just did a batch of beans this past weekend.  I used cans of store bought beans too.  I sauteed some shallots and garlic in bacon grease, added them to the beans with 2 cups of my homemade BBQ sauce and baked for 2 hours.  Pretty damn delicious with the smoked ribs and grilled chicken we served.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico