Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Basic Brewing DVDs  (Read 1028 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Basic Brewing DVDs
« on: November 10, 2010, 07:37:25 am »
Has anyone seen the Basic Brewing DVDs? I'm thinking of getting the intro to extract and intro to all-grain for my wife, because it might be fun to watch them together and learn something. Thoughts?
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline beerrat

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Basic Brewing DVDs
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 09:36:59 am »
I have  the all grain one and was a good intro/hand holding for a beginner (which I was).   I'm a visual guy, so seeing someone do something is easier for me then just reading about it.  You may get the same from youtube, but a lot more filter to find quality.  You get what you pay for.

Actually, if you have a local homebrew club or shop, see if they are having classes/demos/teach you to brew events.  Even more effective, and you can ask questions.

Hope this helps.

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
Re: Basic Brewing DVDs
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 10:47:13 am »
I'm a fan of Basic Brewing's James Spencer, Steve Wilkes and Andy Sparks.  I watched the videos while learning about the all grain process and found the presentations informative and entertaining keeping the mood light.  The best bet is you can watch it over and over if you missed something and if you need to ask a question, you can ask him James on twitter, facebook and by email.

He also produces weekly audio and biweekly (or so) video podcasts which are available on I Tunes and on his website http://www/basicbrewing.com.  Topics cover all areas of brewing (and others cover kit vinting) with professional and home brewers.  For example in the 11/04/10 audio episode, James and Chris Colby, editor of Brew Your Own magazine, announced the new collaborative mashing experiment and they talk about winter beers. In the 11/10/10 video podcast, James goes back to the stone age as brewers use lots of fire and rocks to brew tasty beer.

Go to the website and catch a few episodes.
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders