Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP575 - Belgian Style Ale Blend  (Read 4095 times)

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
WLP575 - Belgian Style Ale Blend
« on: November 10, 2010, 04:49:08 pm »
Has anyone else tried to brew a golden ale with this yeast? I have tried twice and i keep ending up with a bunch of butter flavor. I though it was infected at first, but it happened again.
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.

Offline witsok

• Cellarman
Re: WLP575 - Belgian Style Ale Blend
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 06:56:01 pm »
I've used WLP575 several times and never had butter flavor (diacetyl).  I don't have any problems picking up diacetyl.  Typically, I'll start fermentation at 68°F and let it rise to 75°F.  What temperature did you ferment at?  did you use a starter?  What size?

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 12:59:42 pm »
I've never smelled or tasted butter from this yeast strain.  I used it about four times last year, during the summer months. This yeast's aromatics were heavily dominated by rose pedals and fruity esters.  I fermented at 73-75 for a week and bumped up to 80F for the remainder of primary fermentation. 

What kind of hops are you using? I've heard of different hop combinations tasting or smelling like cat pee but not really butter.
Did the yeast smell like butter from the get go?
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 02:15:33 pm »
I think we need to hear from the OP, but if the beer was fermented cold that could explain why there was butter notes in that beer and not in yours, since the yeast would clean up the diacetyl better at warmer temps.  ALL yeasts produce diacetyl, but at different levels and some are better at cleaning it up than others. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 03:30:08 pm »
I think we need to hear from the OP, but if the beer was fermented cold that could explain why there was butter notes in that beer and not in yours, since the yeast would clean up the diacetyl better at warmer temps.  ALL yeasts produce diacetyl, but at different levels and some are better at cleaning it up than others. ;)

duh, why didn't I think of that.  That would explain the butter notes.
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline astrivian

• Assistant Brewer
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 12:33:15 pm »
Interesting, i didn't know the fermentation temperature affected diacetyl. I think the temperature was about 65 degrees. I did use a starter, about 1/4 gallon for a 1 gallon batch. I assumed it was the yeast, but i may be wrong. One of the main ingredients is honey, i wonder if that is the cause?
Never trust a skinny chef and never trust a sober brewer.