Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Salute  (Read 4096 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Salute
« on: November 11, 2010, 08:48:23 am »
Happy Veterans Day!  This is one holiday I feel I earned...took the day off.  ;D
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
Re: Salute
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 08:50:10 am »
Happy Veterans Day!  This is one holiday I feel I earned...took the day off.  ;D
didn't do that. 
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 08:53:33 am »
Hmmm, wonder where my head's at...  I saw the subject line and the only thing that popped into my head was Hee-Haw...    Saaaaaaa-lute!!
Joe

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 09:02:28 am »
Here's to all of our fine service people everywhere in the world!  Thank you for what you do.

Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 09:06:56 am »
Thank you Veterans, for protecting my freedom & giving so much.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 09:45:16 am »
Happy Veterans Day to all of the men and women who have served in uniform!

Thank you for your service.  :)
Ron Price

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 10:03:05 am »
Here's to all veterans and all those currently serving. Keep your head down little bro and stay safe. 5 months to go!
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 11:19:22 am »
Here's to all those who've served . . . thank you, and cheers!
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 11:23:40 am »
My gratitude for keeping us free.

Gonna call my old dad- there's not many of the Great Generation left.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 12:06:54 pm »
Yut.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 01:43:43 pm »
Thanks for all you do and all you've done, vets!!  Raising a pint for ya...
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 01:52:44 pm »
Thanks Dad.

R.I.P.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2010, 04:06:33 am »
This is a long post, but I'd like to think that it's worth reading if you have time.

---

I learned this recently, and it's really something to think about when you hear people who knock France as being wimpy "cheese-eating surrender monkeys:"

In World War I, France lost 1,397,800 soldiers during the 1914-18 conflict. They also had 300,000 civilian casualties. Total dead: almost four and a half percent of the population. 4,266,000 military wounded, ten percent of the population. And we all know that "wounded" from WWI often meant surviving injuries whose treatments would severely handicap the soldier.

In every town in France, -every- town, there's a memorial to their men "mort pour la France." In Milly-la-foret, a beautiful town near me known for its mint production, there's a memorial in the local church, with more than 200 names listed. The town had a population of 2,416 just before the war. That's 12 percent of the town, dead. In my town, population 423 during the war, there's a memorial to 30 men. This country suffered losses that could not be imagined by those of us lucky enough to have been born on a completely different side of the world in a very comfortable place from a strategic point of view, losses that affected every single Frenchman. So next time you hear someone talking about how the French are always giving up, remind them of those 1.4 million, whose gave up nothing else but their lives.

Then there's World War II. Vichy overshadows a lot of the bravery that Frenchmen exhibited during the occupation, and before. The street I live on is named after a fighter pilot and Légion d'honneur recipient who died in 1940, Commandant Maurice Arnoux. He first fought in WWI, first in Serbia where, at 19 years old, he was inducted into the Order of the Serbian Army, received the Serbian Cross for "Vertus militaires," and the French Croix de Guerre with Palm. In 1916, he was sent to Verdun and as Sergeant flew at altitudes that sometimes went as low as 20 feet to provide cover for ground forces. On two occasions his plane was hit and the resulting damage forced full-speed emergency landings, from which he emerged miraculously unscathed. His actions at Verdun and elsewhere earned him five citations in the order of the French Army Air Corps, the Médaille Militaire,  and the Légion d'honneur, earned at only 23 years old.

During the space between wars he was promoted several times and finally reached the rank of Commandant. During WWII he took again to aerial engagements, and was wounded on May 10, 1940. After a brief stay in the hospital he returned to the air and on June 6, 1940, after a heroic battle, he was shot down and crashed in a cornfield outside of Angivillers. He left behind a wife, three children, and many friends.

---

In several places near my house you can find plaques commemorating Free French who were killed at the hands of the Nazis. Here's one of them: http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=48.51839,2.2625&spn=0.001281,0.004128&z=19&layer=c&cbll=48.51834,2.262387&panoid=RAkgXejiUdIo5VaI4fsfFQ&cbp=12,20.21,,0,8.22
(I'm going over there to get a few baguettes after work, I'll post a better picture then, as well as a translation).

---

And, as an American in France, I'm keenly aware of the role my grandfather and other grandfathers like mine had to play here.

This is the Paratrooper Memorial at a bridge near Saint Mere Eglise. I drank a Sam Adams near here, in their memory.

This is a blockhouse at Omaha Beach.

This is Point du Hoc, which Rangers scaled on D-Day.

This is the church in Ste Mere Eglise - if you remember The Longest Day, Red Buttons got caught on the roof of the church during the invasion. That actually happened, and the guy survived. They put this up in honor of him.

The interior of the church, one of the stained glass windows. This depicts Mary, but I'd like to think that it represents Marianne, the symbol of France, with paratroopers coming to her aid. Makes me a bit teary thinking about it.

This is another stained glass from the interior, depicting saint michael. At the bottom it says "Ils sont revenus" which means, "They have come back." The reason behind it: on the left, the date 6 June 1944, and on the right, 6 June 1969, 25 years later. It was the first time the paratroopers that liberated the town had come back, and was a powerful moment for the people of the town. FYI Ste Mere Eglise was the first town in France to be liberated on D-Day.

Here's a marker for an unknown soldier's grave, in the American Cemetery near the Normandy beaches.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:58:14 am by phillamb168 »
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2010, 10:36:45 am »
This is a long post, but I'd like to think that it's worth reading if you have time.
Thanks for this Phil.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 10:49:37 am »

I learned this recently, and it's really something to think about when you hear people who knock France as being wimpy "cheese-eating surrender monkeys:"

In World War I, France lost 1,397,800 soldiers during the 1914-18 conflict. They also had 300,000 civilian casualties. Total dead: almost four and a half percent of the population. 4,266,000 military wounded, ten percent of the population. And we all know that "wounded" from WWI often meant surviving injuries whose treatments would severely handicap the soldier.

Wow... this really does put things into perspective.

Thanks Phil.
Ron Price