Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: braggot  (Read 6977 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: braggot
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 09:27:05 am »
Can anyone give me some advice on bottling a braggot?  Should I treat it like an ale or a mead?  Seems pretty silly in hindsight, that I got it in the fermenter before I even thought about bottling.

Hey, you'd have to give a lot more info before anyone could answer your questions.  You could go with a lightly carbonated ale-like version or you could serve it "still" (i.e. non-carbonated) that's entirely up to you.  Do you plan to age the batch long term? That could effect your ability to carbonate unless you can force carbonate it or you're familiar with carbonating an aged beverage. If you post more info we can go from there.   

Sorry, this is my first attempt at a braggot.  I used the recipe out of Schramm's "Compleat Meadmaker."  I used the extract variation and 10 lbs of wildflower honey.  I do my meads still but my ale tends to be on the full body side, mainly an Arrogant Bastard clone, that I bottle using priming sugar.  I figured on it being more like an ale and at least a year to finish.  The SG was 1.120 so I'm figuring 9-10% ABV range when it's done.  I've racked it to a secondary and expecting at least 2 months to clarify.  I was figuring on carbonating like the ale but am worried about the higher alcohol level.  tschmidlin's idea about the card drops sound like a great option, but I'm open to trying just about anything.  If I wasn't willing to experiment, I'd be drinking beer in a can...lol

I usually avoid the bottle conditioning and force carbonate my braggots.  This way I don't have to stress too much about whether they will eventually carbonate to the level I want.  You can even do this a few bottles at a time with a one liter plastic bottle and a carbonator cap.
I find that my braggots do better in competitions when entered sparkling rather than still, plus the CO2 brings out more of the flavors IMHO

btw What's wrong with canned beer?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

jaybeerman

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 12:18:19 pm »
Sorry, this is my first attempt at a braggot.  I used the recipe out of Schramm's "Compleat Meadmaker."  I used the extract variation and 10 lbs of wildflower honey.  I do my meads still but my ale tends to be on the full body side, mainly an Arrogant Bastard clone, that I bottle using priming sugar.  I figured on it being more like an ale and at least a year to finish.  The SG was 1.120 so I'm figuring 9-10% ABV range when it's done.  I've racked it to a secondary and expecting at least 2 months to clarify.  I was figuring on carbonating like the ale but am worried about the higher alcohol level.  tschmidlin's idea about the card drops sound like a great option, but I'm open to trying just about anything.  If I wasn't willing to experiment, I'd be drinking beer in a can...lol

What was the gravity when you transfered to secondary and did it seem to be completely finished fermenting? Just make sure that all fermentables are gone before you put this thing in the bottle.  Otherwise tom and jeff had good points; force carbonate if that is an option or add a touch of yeast along with sugar (drops if you like).

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 12:28:27 pm »
I don't like still braggots that much.  I guess they remind me of bad early homebrewer beers: sweet, flat, boozy, and worty, all at once.  They don't need to be sparkling, but they should have some bubbles.  Like an English barleywine, I'd say.

Keg & force carbonate is the easiest way of dealing with them, just like beer.

Naturally carbonating meads is tricky since you don't really know where they'll want to stop.  Especially if you like your meads anything but dry.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline jcstudmuffin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 05:09:23 pm »
Jay, the gravity at was 1.049 when I racked it over and the ferment was slow but still active (personal preference).  I gotta tell ya that I'm a meadmaker that started brewing on a dare, so I haven't taken up the kegging step yet.  That's why the carb drops, which I've never used, sound like a good alternative.  Guess I'll try several variation and move kegging items up my wish list.

btw jeffy, after tasting homebrew, how can I ever go back?  lol