Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Mash Paddle  (Read 3779 times)

Offline PORTERHAUS

• Brewer
  • NW Indiana
Re: Mash Paddle
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2016, 06:06:58 pm »
I have a long SS spoon and have used mostly that. I have one slotted for the mash and one non slotted in the boil. I made an Amazon order a few weeks back and I picked up a wooden paddle from the Bayou Classic people. I have 2 of their pots as a HLT and a boil kettle. Those have been great so for $12 for a 35" paddle, I figured I would try it. Only used it once but it made things a lot easier, the spoon I usually use is a little short for my new bigger mashtun and starts to really hurt my hand.

This seems like it is also soft wood so I'll have to keep it clean and sanitized.

Offline factory

• Brewer
  • Virginia Beach, VA
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2016, 05:23:45 am »
A Navy Master Chief friend of mine made mine out of a piece of White Ash. 

Here's his Facebook Page.  He makes shadowboxes for folks that are retiring.  The photo of the mash paddle he made for me is near the bottom.

https://www.facebook.com/BandZWoodworking/photos_stream

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2016, 06:23:49 pm »
I have a piece of maple laying around that I figure I would make a mash paddle out of.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 11:42:29 am »
A Navy Master Chief friend of mine made mine out of a piece of White Ash. 

Here's his Facebook Page.  He makes shadowboxes for folks that are retiring.  The photo of the mash paddle he made for me is near the bottom.

https://www.facebook.com/BandZWoodworking/photos_stream
Almost looks too nice to place into sticky, sugary, hot wort. Great work!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline gymrat

• Brewmaster
  • Ralph's Brewery
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 08:36:45 pm »
I have a cheap plastic paddle from Midwest Supplies. It tends to bend a bit while I am stirring but it works. I have thought about investing in a nice wooden paddle sometime.
Ralph's Brewery
Topeka, KS

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 09:25:25 pm »
On my smaller batches (grist wise) I tend to use my large whisk more than the wooden paddle I have. It is great for those huge beers though
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2016, 03:22:14 pm »
I use a monster whisk on my thinner mashes.  When my MT is thick, and overfloweth, a custom maple paddle my wife gave me for Christmas a few years back.  I used to use a drill and stainless paint mixer.  All are good I guess.  My MT is too big for my spoons. 
Jeff B

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2016, 08:52:09 pm »
I have a 22" stainless steel whisk purchased at a restaurant supply store. I use it to stir the mash because it breaks up small clumps I might not have detected. It's also a gorgeous piece of hardware.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member