Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Persimmons  (Read 4263 times)

beveragebob

Re: Persimmons
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2010, 12:33:52 pm »
I was hoping to get ~ 500-100lbs of wine grapes down here in S. New Mexico but, even though there;s vines down here planted before anyone knew where California was, I could not persuade any growers to sell me any. Now I'm considering buying a bunch of persimmon juice from Wally World and making some wine out of that. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2010, 04:22:41 pm »
I was hoping to get ~ 500-100lbs of wine grapes down here in S. New Mexico but, even though there;s vines down here planted before anyone knew where California was, I could not persuade any growers to sell me any. Now I'm considering buying a bunch of persimmon juice from Wally World and making some wine out of that. 

I lived in your area for a while (Silver city) Have you tried a hard cherry cider? might be yummy
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

beveragebob

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 04:23:03 pm »
Hard Cherry Cider sounds good but, after living in California for 20 years....I really miss the grape thing.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 04:49:01 pm »
Hard Cherry Cider sounds good but, after living in California for 20 years....I really miss the grape thing.

yeah I can understand that. My wife wanted to get soem wine grapes from a few growers around here (Bay Area CA) to make some 'varietal' jellies but I couldn't locate any easily so we just bought some local (Solano county) wine and made wine jelly instead. it's pretty yummy. I know you can get the already pressed juice through my LHBS (Oakbarrel) they are one the web you might check that out. Or Napa fermentation supply, don't know if they are on the web. you wouldn't get to press your own but...
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

beveragebob

« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2010, 11:43:58 am »
I was in the S.F Bay area and have shopped at those places you mentioned. Actually, I still own my house in Livermore. There's like 50 wineries there now.