Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hard Cider spice questions...  (Read 7469 times)

Offline wvmtnrider74

• 1st Kit
Hard Cider spice questions...
« on: November 12, 2010, 06:45:49 am »
  Hey all, I currently have two 5 Gal batches of a Specialty Apple Cider in the fermenter. I used 5 Gal of apple cider along with 2lbs of light brown sugar in each batch and have a question about adding spices to this. I want to add cinnamon to this brew and have heard to put the cinnamon directly into the secondary and have heard to make a "tea" out of the cinnamon and add it when I go to bottle/keg, does anyone have a tried and tested way of doing this?? How much is a nice amount to add...1 teaspoon per batch or does anyone have a certain amount that they use?? Also I want to bottle a batch and keg the other, how much priming sugar should I use to bottle. I normally use 3/4 teaspoon per 12oz bottle with my beer and was curious if the priming amount would be the same for the cider. Thanks for all the help in advance and hope to hear from everyone soon, I should be racking into secondary this weekend!!!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: Hard Cider spice questions...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2010, 09:24:15 am »
I've not spiced cider (though I have eight gallons aging in secondary and might consider this) but when I've spiced beer I typically soak the spices in a baby food jar with vodka.

Then, you can add the vodka tincture to the carboy/keg/bottling bucket to get the amount of spicing you desire.

If you are bottling, it may be trickier to get it just right.  With a keg (and I suppose a carboy), you can add a bit at a time and check it over the course of a week or so.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 09:47:30 am »
The best cider I've ever made was primed with juice, not sugar.  I used a little over 5 oz (by weight)/5 gallons.

As far as cinnamon, I'd put some cinnamon sticks in a mason jar, then pour in enough vodka to cover the cinamon.  Maybe break the cinnamon sticks into 1 or 2 inch pieces.  Then at bottling, take a measured sample of cider and add the spiced vodka to the cider to taste.  Once you know how much spice suits your taste, scale that amount up to the full batch size.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 10:17:38 am »
Much discussion in the "perking up a pumpkin brew" thread on how to spice post fermentation.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton