Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spilled Yeast while making Starter  (Read 5113 times)

narvin

narvin

Re: Spilled Yeast while making Starter
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2010, 11:47:42 am »
It is better if you let the yeast warm to pitching temps before you add it to the wort.

Tom, the last few years the "conventional wisdom" has been to not let the yeast warm up before pitching.  The rationale given is that if you warm the yeast up, it will start consuming its nutrient reserves before hitting the wort, and will be less vigorous once pitched.  Do you disagree with that line of thought?
I haven't heard that.  I wonder what they're doing to their yeast that the nutrient reserves are low?  And why is there not an abundance of nutrients in the media that is left behind?  I'm not talking about letting it sit at room temp for days, but in an hour or so coming up to 60F . . . well, what are the yeast doing with their nutrients?  Not growing presumably, since there's no sugar present.  I think I need more details about which nutrients they mean . . .  :-\  I've never had a problem doing it my way though.

I guess if that's really a concern and you want to worry about everything then you can temper the yeast by adding small amount of wort at pitching temp to your chilled yeast to bring it up to the same temp.  But that's probably overkill and more than people really need to worry about.

It's my understanding that pitching more than  +-10 degrees of the wort temp will potentially shock the yeast...

Denny, Tom...??

If you pitch to colder wort, you could shock the yeast, but I haven't heard any problems about cold pitching into warmer wort.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2010, 11:50:11 am »
I haven't heard that.  I wonder what they're doing to their yeast that the nutrient reserves are low?  And why is there not an abundance of nutrients in the media that is left behind?  I'm not talking about letting it sit at room temp for days, but in an hour or so coming up to 60F . . . well, what are the yeast doing with their nutrients?  Not growing presumably, since there's no sugar present.  I think I need more details about which nutrients they mean . . .  :-\  I've never had a problem doing it my way though.

I guess if that's really a concern and you want to worry about everything then you can temper the yeast by adding small amount of wort at pitching temp to your chilled yeast to bring it up to the same temp.  But that's probably overkill and more than people really need to worry about.

I believe it was glycogen that was the issue, but I'll see if I can find something more definite.  I can tell you that for nearly 10 years I've been taking the yeast out of the fridge, decanting, then pitching immediately , and subjectively it seems to work at least as well as warming it up in terms of getting off to a fast start.  It may even be better, but I haven't done side by side pitches to ascertain that for a fact.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2010, 11:53:47 am »
It's my understanding that pitching more than  +-10 degrees of the wort temp will potentially shock the yeast...

Denny, Tom...??

Ron, I've been doing it for 10 years with no ill effects.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2010, 12:00:39 pm »

Denny, Tom...??

Ron, I've been doing it for 10 years with no ill effects.

What is your typical temp differential?
Ron Price

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2010, 12:15:07 pm »

Denny, Tom...??

Something about petite mutants?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 12:21:24 pm »

Somewhere in the range of 25-30F.  Fridge is about 35F and the wort is usually 60-65F.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 12:34:27 pm »

Somewhere in the range of 25-30F.  Fridge is about 35F and the wort is usually 60-65F.

Thanks.

This is good to know.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 12:37:38 pm »
I'd want to see it done side by side, but if it's true then that's pretty cool.  The 2-4 hour lag time is really short and may not be ideal based on things I've read, but I'll have to go back and check it out.  Thanks for the info. It's worth doing some tests if anyone has time :)
Tom Schmidlin