Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: reusing yeast cake  (Read 2564 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
reusing yeast cake
« on: November 05, 2010, 08:39:52 am »
Hey all, I have a saison that is about to go into bottles this weekend (Hopefully). I want to reuse the yeast cake for a strong belgian christmas ale but I won't have the ingredients till sometime next week. what is the best way to keep that yeast happy until then? can I just leave it in the carboy until I am ready to pitch onto it? or should I transfer it to some sanitized mason jars? any point in trying to minimize the trub transfer?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Re: reusing yeast cake
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:21:38 am »
I would transfer to some jars and stick it in the fridge.
Maybe try some yeast washing.
http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=4337.0
though some don't think it's that important.
but I would try and get it out of the carboy if it's going to sit for a while.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 11:43:17 am »
I use plastic containers with snap on lids.  They seem safer to me than jars since if the yeast builds up pressure they won't explode like jars do.  I also split the slurry between 2 containers since an entire slurry is seldom necessary. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 03:43:40 pm »
I use plastic containers with snap on lids.  They seem safer to me than jars since if the yeast builds up pressure they won't explode like jars do.  I also split the slurry between 2 containers since an entire slurry is seldom necessary. 

cool. I will see if we have an appropriate container. I am thinking the christmas ale is gonna be aroun1.080 or maybe a little higher. is there any benefit/cost to overpitching in that case? also can I just oxegenate the slurry before pitching rather than trying to shake a full carboy? (I don't have a aerater stone nor the money to aquire one at the moment)
I would transfer to some jars and stick it in the fridge.
Maybe try some yeast washing.
though some don't think it's that important.
but I would try and get it out of the carboy if it's going to sit for a while.
thanks I will check those links out
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2010, 05:18:38 pm »
I use glass Mason jars for this but keep the lids slightly loose until chilled. Make sure you clean and sanitize the jars and lids.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2010, 06:41:17 pm »
You can pour the slurry you want to keep into sanitized plastic (PET) water or soda bottles and chill. I like the 8 oz ones. That way I can pitch right into the fermenter after they've warmed up.

Very safe.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline richardt

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2010, 07:12:15 am »

Between reading this thread and reading similar comments in JZ/CW's Yeast Book recently, I felt obliged to check on my yeast (in glass Mason Jars) yesterday. 

There was some pressure build up in nearly all of them.  The worst one was the jar that actually had the least amount of yeast/slurry in it (i.e., more headspace).  Made a loud sound akin to a champagne cork popping when I opened it.

Kind of kicking myself for being stupid while doing it (I wasn't wearing gloves or safety glasses, nor did I have a thick towel over the jar in case of explosion).  Not smart.  No harm done, though.

I've left the lids on loose for now.  Plan to eventually switch over to plastic containers and will use the Mason Jars for yeast rinsing or other short term uses.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 08:19:36 am »
For storage times that are not too long, I use a mason jar and put
aluminum foil over the opening no pressure and easy.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.