Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewed today (pic)  (Read 5891 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Brewed today (pic)
« on: November 13, 2010, 05:35:12 pm »
Nice lil stout. Hit the numbers and rang in at 1.062 ish flavor of the tube is nice n chocolate

High hopes for this one...
   ;D
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
Re: Brewed today (pic)
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 05:39:38 pm »
I'm sure it will turn out stout.  Just keep it away from those sours of yours. ;D
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 05:58:05 pm »
I'm sure it will turn out stout.  Just keep it away from those sours of yours. ;D
Wow wot a concept, Sour n stout....hmmmmm. I debated putting a half ounce of corriander
in the mash, but changed me mind at the last minute...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 11:27:57 pm »
Wow wot a concept, Sour n stout....hmmmmm. I debated putting a half ounce of corriander
Glad you changed your mind, that doesn't sound all that great to me.  Neither does sour stout. :)

Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 06:02:28 am »
I make a corriander beer that is my wife's fav of all my homebrews (mead not included).  It is a marzen with an ounce of freshly cracked coriander seeds added for 10 minutes at the end of the boil after the heat has been turned off. I wrote an article about it for the ingredients special issue of Zymurgy a while back.  I've tweaked the recipe a bit since then.

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline 1vertical

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 07:27:41 am »
Glad you changed your mind, that doesn't sound all that great to me.  Neither does sour stout. :)
I make a corriander beer that is my wife's fav of all my homebrews (mead not included).  It is a marzen with an ounce of freshly cracked coriander seeds added for 10 minutes at the end of the boil after the heat has been turned off. I wrote an article about it for the ingredients special issue of Zymurgy a while back.  I've tweaked the recipe a bit since then.

Interesting you should say that Tom, I was going to ask you your opinion before had a PM all set up to do the same, then backed down.  As for the sour stout I do believe
there are stouts hit up with Brett that do exist commercially, tho I have not tried any.

I enjoy the flavor of  Corriander in beer and the mash tun is the place to add it in IMO.
It diminishes the presence somewhat and kind of adds a flowery sweetness/aroma thing.

Anyhow, that beer had very little lag time I hope due to the fresh yeast cake I pitched
it onto and a large quantity of yeast.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 07:47:55 am »
Madrudgada Obscura from Jolly Pumpkin is an excellent Brett stout, it may have other bugs in it also. 
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2010, 07:59:54 am »
Madrudgada Obscura from Jolly Pumpkin is an excellent Brett stout, it may have other bugs in it also. 
I knew I had one from Jolly Pumpkin.  It had some acetic notes as well as the bret.  I didn't care much for it.  bouef
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2010, 08:14:22 am »
judged a brett RIS in a competition last year. It was interesting, and quite pleasant if you like that sort of thing, but miscategorized (should have been in specialty beer).
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2010, 09:29:20 am »
I knew I had one from Jolly Pumpkin.  It had some acetic notes as well as the bret.  I didn't care much for it.  bouef
I bought 6 of them, 4 were excellent, one was not good at all, one still sits in the fridge.  You may have had a bad one.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 10:13:57 am »
I bought 6 of them, 4 were excellent, one was not good at all, one still sits in the fridge.  You may have had a bad one.

+1 on the excellence of Madrudgada Obscura. I like it very much. Jolly Pumpkin's certainly got a handle on the wild stuff. Jeff's may have been a bad example.... or it may be just a question of personal taste.

Sour stout is not a common occurrence, which may speak to many people sharing Jeff's feeling towards them. On the other hand, I like them. I'm sure Jeff recalls the group effort we made here in FL for the Orlando AHA NHC. We brewed an RIS for the commemorative beer. It went sour in the barrel & we rebrewed & did some blending. I've still got a few put away, and break one out once in a while and really enjoy it.

Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 10:27:00 am »

+1 on the excellence of Madrudgada Obscura. I like it very much. Jolly Pumpkin's certainly got a handle on the wild stuff. Jeff's may have been a bad example.... or it may be just a question of personal taste.

Sour stout is not a common occurrence, which may speak to many people sharing Jeff's feeling towards them. On the other hand, I like them. I'm sure Jeff recalls the group effort we made here in FL for the Orlando AHA NHC. We brewed an RIS for the commemorative beer. It went sour in the barrel & we rebrewed & did some blending. I've still got a few put away, and break one out once in a while and really enjoy it.

Thanks for reminding me, Mark  ::)
I just pulled one out of storage and into the fridge.
I like sour beers and I've had Madrudgada Obscura more than once.  I just didn't think it was a well-blended flavor.
(btw why do brewers chose to name their beers something you can barely pronounce?)
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 11:39:29 pm »
Yeah, for me it's personal preference on the sour stouts.  I just don't feel like the sourness goes well with the roast.  I don't care for Belgian yeast character in stouts either, it clashes IMO.   :-\
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2010, 05:52:05 am »
I enjoy the flavor of  Corriander in beer and the mash tun is the place to add it in IMO.
It diminishes the presence somewhat and kind of adds a flowery sweetness/aroma thing.

I've tried adding fresh cracked corriander seeds to the mash a few times but, didn't have much luck with it.  Seemed like most of the corriander characteristics were lost in the finished beer.  Kinda like adding hops to the mash...

Do you use whole seeds or pre-ground corriander?
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 07:48:08 am »

I've tried adding fresh cracked corriander seeds to the mash a few times but, didn't have much luck with it.  Seemed like most of the corriander characteristics were lost in the finished beer.  Kinda like adding hops to the mash...

Do you use whole seeds or pre-ground corriander?

I added fresh cracked coriander to a Wit once and it complemented the beer.  I'm not sure about a stout.
The bold roasted flavor might cover up the spice... :-\
Maybe try adding a very small amount to a pint and try it that way. This way, if you don't like it... you won't have five gallons of it sitting around.
Ron Price