Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using Unmalted Wheat.....  (Read 1970 times)

Offline resto3

• Cellarman
Using Unmalted Wheat.....
« on: November 19, 2010, 10:34:42 pm »
Using Unmalted Wheat for the first time.  Do I just mill it with the rest of the grain bill and mash it regularly or does it need to be step mashed??

Recipe as follows:

Making a big Wheatwine with honey and muscat grape juice.  20 gal batch and the grain bill is as follows:

26 lbs 2-Row
7 lbs Pilsner
16.5 lbs Malted Wheat
15.5 lbs Unmalted Wheat
1.5 lbs Carawheat
1.5 lbs Amber Malt
1.5 lbs Oat Malt

12 pounds of Honey

1 Gallon of Muscat Grape Juice as well as (estimating) about 2 quarts of fresh pressed grape juices from local winery here in Delaware.

Fermenting the whole lot with Wlp 500 and Wlp 530

My plan was to mash the wole thing in 4 seperate mash tuns, three with 20 pounds of grain each and one with 10, run the first runnings in the kettle and just sparge enough to get about 24 gallons of wort.  make a second smaller batch with the second runnings.  Using all Sorachi Ace hops.

But I digress.  My reason for posting was to find out about mashing the Unmalted Wheat.  will it convert with a single infusio mash while mashing with the rest of the grain bill?

Thanks for the replies.

Richie from Delaware.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Using Unmalted Wheat.....
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 11:41:18 pm »
It's about 50/50 so it should still convert.

That's a hefty endeavor.  :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

beveragebob

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 11:56:11 pm »
I'd throw in a few handfuls of rice hulls for good luck.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 06:00:19 am »
I have used raw wheat in Belgian Wits, at a higher percentage than your grain bill.  The thing that makes it work is that the gelitinization temp of wheat is lower than the mash temps for malted barley.  You have a bunch of enzymes from the 2-row, pils and malted wheat.  This will convert with no problems.

Bob has given some good advice on the rice hulls, put some in and your sparge will be no problem.  I just got several pounds of rice hulls to have around as "insurance".
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Malticulous

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 07:02:15 am »
You will get lower extract from it than if you pregelitized the wheat.Lower than 70%.

beveragebob

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 02:33:41 pm »
I forgot about that Malticulous . IIRC you can use your mt as a ceral cooker. Put all the unmalted wheat in with ~ 10% of the malted barley and bring it up to almost a boil, then you can add the rest of the mash in after calc your temps so you hit your strike mash temp. Correct me if I'm wrong.