Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Smoked beer help please?  (Read 7311 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Smoked beer help please?
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 06:57:55 pm »
So a question for the home malt smokers.  I have a small bag of Cherry shavings.  Should I smoke malt with that?

I also plan to use the small bag of Crabapple shavings to smoke some malt, just becasue.

Tom - thanks for the clarification on the bandaid coming from 4-ethyl phenol.
Again I've just done one beer with home-smoked wood but it did turn out far better than I thought it would.  I used apple wood.  I have a Brinkman smoker grill with the firebox on the end.  I built a small fire of just apple chunks and kept it going for about 1.5 hours.  The heat never got more than about 10 degrees above ambient.  I've also got pruned branches from peach, apricot and pecan trees, I may try the peach/apricot next time.
I have done alder (2 times), pear (2 times), Apple, and Beechwood for beer.  Have done many more for pork.  Want to find persimmon again, and use it for malt. Nectarine would be great in a light beer like a blond or Helles. 

10 degrees over ambient is a very good thing!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline positiverpr

• Cellarman
Re: Smoked beer help please?
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2010, 07:45:48 pm »
if someone commented on this then i missed it. before i started using ro water, if i tried  brewing anything smokey i got terrible bandaid/phenol compounds which were due to the chlorine/smoke interaction. when using smoke malt or even when setting the malt to smoke your own- make sure to use water with no chlorine.