Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Negra Modelo  (Read 3871 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Negra Modelo
« on: December 04, 2010, 12:26:15 pm »
Grupo Modelo rocks on this brew. I like it and it is worth a positive review IMHO.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Negra Modelo
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2010, 12:33:38 pm »
I like it. Supposedly they don't even brew this type of lager in Vienna any more. Not sure about that tho. And, it's confusing when sources also say it's Munich Dunkel. ???

Anyway besides Bohemia it's my favorite Mexican beer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 01:51:01 pm »
Same for me, this is always the best I can get around here at Mexican restaurants.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2010, 09:38:20 pm »
Yeah, but when you taste it side by side with an all malt vienna, you really notice the corn and overall thin flavour/body.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2010, 11:18:09 pm »
Negra Modelo is one of my all-time faves, and is without a doubt the quintessential Vienna lager.  Without it, I fear the style would die off entirely.  Dos Equis Amber doesn't even come close, and neither does anything else I've tried.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 07:56:50 am »
Yeah, but when you taste it side by side with an all malt vienna, you really notice the corn and overall thin flavour/body.
What is a commercial all malt Vienna lager I might be able to find.  Obviously Negro Modelo would be different, but for Mexican beers it ain't bad.  Are there any all malt Mexican lagers, Vienna or otherwise?
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2010, 08:21:09 am »
What is a commercial all malt Vienna lager I might be able to find.  Obviously Negro Modelo would be different, but for Mexican beers it ain't bad.  Are there any all malt Mexican lagers, Vienna or otherwise?

Boulevard Bob's 47 Munich-style lager.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 10:47:47 am »
I have brewed Negra Modelo clones with all-Vienna base malt and with Vienna, pilsner, and flaked corn....amnd much prefer the ones with corn.  The sweetness of the corn really works well in this type of beer.

I love Negra Modelo.  I brew a clone every winter and lager for weeks it to be tapped at a Cinco de Mayo party.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 10:52:02 am »
Negra Modelo is one of my all-time faves, and is without a doubt the quintessential Vienna lager.  Without it, I fear the style would die off entirely.  Dos Equis Amber doesn't even come close, and neither does anything else I've tried.

+1

I enjoy this beer very much everytime I drink it.  I always get it when the wife and I go out for Mexican food.
Ron Price