Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Out of Starsan sanitizer is chlorine bleach okay?  (Read 24738 times)

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
Re: Out of Starsan sanitizer is chlorine bleach okay?
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2010, 10:51:20 am »
"Many brewers have experienced pinholes in stainless-steel vessels that have been filled with a bleach-water solution and left to soak for several days. "

The key statement is "left to soak for many days". I'm talking about a few minutes.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 01:04:57 pm »
I have to admit, about a year ago I left a chlorine bleach solution soaking in my 15 gallon stainless steel kettle.  About a week later I returned to find a pin size hole exactly where the liquid bleach solution and the air made contact with the stainless steel kettle wall.  Unfortunately, I learned my lesson when I had to pay about $25 to get the pin size hole welded.

But now that I ran-out of the Starsan solution, I've once again resorted to using the corrosive chlorine bleach that I once said I would never use on metal.  You guys have stated your points, and long ago I learned a valuable lesson; why one should not leave the chlorinated bleach solution soaking in metal containers for a long period of time.  Therefore, I will only soak my four stainless steel corny kegs and all the parts that disconnect from those kegs for no more than 20 minutes.  Thereafter, I will rinse each piece of metal with the water hose, and then transfer thy beer into those corny kegs.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 01:06:38 pm by pyrite »
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 05:21:27 pm »
… Rinsing with tap water is 'usually' ok…
If your tap water is provided by a municipal water system it is almost certainly safe to use for rinsing.  The EPA’s Clean Water Act requires all public water systems to provide disinfected water to their users’ taps.  However, it is this requirement that makes it important to dechlorinate tap water before using it as brew water.

If you get your tap water from a private source, such as your own well or rainwater catchment system, using it for rinsing could be a problem, unless you also have a filtration and disinfection system installed.
… given the availability of excellent no-rinse sanitizer…

I rinse even when using no-rinse sanitizers.  Just my own personal quirk.  Less is better IMO, and I have no doubt my rinse water is safe.  I use rainwater catchment with triple filtration and UV disinfection for my household water. (and I test it regularly in my lab)

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 06:37:46 pm »
Couldn't all of this be unnecessary to worry about just by spending 8 bucks on some starsan? :D

Order now and you'll have it by the weekend.

Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 07:46:46 pm »
Couldn't all of this be unnecessary to worry about just by spending 8 bucks on some starsan? :D

Indeed.  :D
Ron Price

Offline punatic

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 08:24:06 pm »

Not in this part of the middle of the Pacific.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 11:32:29 pm »

Not in this part of the middle of the Pacific.
Come on, are you telling me Rocket Rod can't hook you up in the 3 hours round trip it would take you to get to his place and back?  And that includes time to chat and sample beers :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 11:39:56 pm »
Every time I try to go see Rod my truck yanks the steering wheel away from me and parks at KBC instead!

And - if you can make it from Puna to Kona and back in three hours, I want to hitch a ride on your airplane!
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 12:15:59 am by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 11:42:21 pm »
That's understandable :)

Maybe you need to have Rod meet you there ;D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline kerneldustjacket

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2010, 06:54:27 am »
+1 on filling with hot water if you're out of sanitizer.

Prior to the excellent no-rinse sanitizers available now, my pre-filling keg sanitization method was to pour four cups of very hot water (right at the point where it started to boil) into the keg, lock the lid in place, and shake. Shaking caused the keg to pressurize with steam. After a few minutes I then attached a tap and opened it up to allow hot water to flow through the liquid out connection, just to be sure the inside of that tube had exposure to 180+ water.
Remove lid, dump remaining hot water, run cold water on the outside to cool it, and fill with beer.

But remember, just like the coffee at McDonald's, the water is hot and can burn you!
John Wilson
Savannah Brewers League
Savannah, GA