Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite movies  (Read 38662 times)

jaybeerman

Re: Favorite movies
« Reply #240 on: August 27, 2011, 12:27:16 pm »
godfather part II
annie hall
the empire strikes back

that's a healthy top three.

i like the middle one the best but theyre all hard to beat

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #241 on: September 29, 2011, 02:11:14 am »
OMG a late nighter on IFC. Monty Python and the Holy Grail! Haha I can appreciate it more than ever!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #242 on: September 29, 2011, 01:55:38 pm »
OMG a late nighter on IFC. Monty Python and the Holy Grail! Haha I can appreciate it more than ever!

"It could be an African swallow! ... but of course, African swallows are non-migratory."
Jesse

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #243 on: September 29, 2011, 04:08:25 pm »
I think my favorite part is the disasterous meeting with the Rabbit of Caerbannog and the consequent use of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. 

It's just a wee rabbit!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #244 on: September 29, 2011, 04:09:04 pm »

"It could be an African swallow! ... but of course, African swallows are non-migratory."

"See the violence inherent in the system!!!! Help! I'm being opressed!!!!!!"

"Churches!"
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #245 on: August 07, 2012, 11:58:51 am »
I just got to see Quentin Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds". The dude's a genius. I will have to watch this several more times to soak up all the little bits!

And true to form for a QT flick just about everybody gets killed suddenly and very quickly except the lovely von Hammersmark. And I wasn't expecting all the twists this film had.

Offline lornemagill

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin/Round Rock, TX
« Reply #246 on: August 07, 2012, 12:31:55 pm »
the big leboski.  the coen brothers are great

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #247 on: August 07, 2012, 12:35:46 pm »
I think my favorite part is the disasterous meeting with the Rabbit of Caerbannog and the consequent use of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. 

It's just a wee rabbit!

"Thou shalt countest to three. no more, no less..."  My kids favorite screen in whole movie.  Even when you add in the singing monks with wooden tablets (Dona nobis pacem <WHACK>).   ;D
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #248 on: August 07, 2012, 01:49:03 pm »
A movie that caught me completely by surprise, that my whole family enjoyed, showed up on a recent Showtime free preview on DirecTv.  Not an absolute favorite movie, but way up on the list.

Paul

From the same guys that made Shaun of the Dead.

Very funny.  I guess my family must all be nerds, cause we had a blast with all the obscure science fiction references - and there are a ton of them, both overt and covert.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #249 on: August 07, 2012, 01:53:55 pm »
I just got to see Quentin Tarantino's "Inglourious Basterds". The dude's a genius. I will have to watch this several more times to soak up all the little bits!

I love alternative history fiction, and Quentin Tarantino movies.  I agree, this is an awesome movie!

The acting is as good as it gets in this one.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #250 on: August 07, 2012, 08:04:05 pm »
I've only seen like 2 or 3 movies since we had our son, and but I just saw Ted last week and it was frigging hilarious. I've been a huge Mark Wahlberg fan ever since Basketball Diaries and Seth MacFarlane is a comedic genius.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #251 on: August 08, 2012, 08:29:59 am »

I love alternative history fiction, and Quentin Tarantino movies.  I agree, this is an awesome movie!

The acting is as good as it gets in this one.
I was surprised how good this movie was.  I love Tarantino's movies...well except Jackie Brown, based off Rum Punch by Elmore Leonard whose books seem like they would be an ideal fit to be directed by Tarantino, was a disappointment to me....and I was still surprised how good this movie was.
Mark

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #252 on: July 12, 2016, 12:11:04 pm »
Sorry to dredge up such an old thread, but its a slow day here at the office and yes I did just go through all 17 pages. In no particular order, I agree with the following 4 as being some of my favorites:
Pulp Fiction
Clockwork Orange
Life Of Brian
Full Metal Jacket

and these 6 as others of y favorites that I did not see listed anywhere:
La Femme Nikita(dont waste your time with the dumbed down English version with Bridget Fonda)
There's something about Mary
The Cook, The Thief, his wife, and her lover
Trust (miss you Adrienne Shelly, and a nice early appearance for Carmel Soprano, Edit Falco)
Killing Zoe
Alien, and Aliens
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 10:19:07 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #253 on: July 12, 2016, 07:35:21 pm »
Alien and Aliens FTW!  Great movies.  Modern Hollywood could learn a lot about action flicks from these movies.  It ain't all about special effects and crazy stunts.  You have to have character development, solid casting, acting, the list goes on and on...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #254 on: July 12, 2016, 07:51:04 pm »
Totally agree. I was around 12 when Raiders of the Lost Ark came out, and I felt like that movie was made just for me. Fantastic adventure story. More modern day, I'm a huge Coen Brothers, Scorcese, and Tarantino fan.
Jon H.