Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fixing a bland Cyser  (Read 1863 times)

Offline mr_jeffers

• Cellarman
  • Saco, ME
Fixing a bland Cyser
« on: November 14, 2010, 05:40:31 pm »
Unfortunately, I can't find my notes.  What I do know is that it was a half batch of cyser, with brown sugar as well.  Fermented with WLP 775 English Cider Yeast.  I transferred it a few weeks ago into another carboy, and it was nice and dry with good flavor.  I pulled off a 375ml bottle for a friend last night, and found it to be rather bland.  There was more yeast sediment on the bottom of the carboy, so I'm assuming that whatever yeast was left in suspension chewed up whatever sugar was left and settled out.

Obviously I don't want to dump this.  There are no off flavors that I can detect, and the friend I gave to bottle too suggested a little malic acid to help with the flavor.  Looking for suggestions that other people have tried that turned around a batch that may have gone a little too far to the bland side.

My gut reaction it to stabilize with potassium sorbate, add a little concentrated apple juice get a little apple flavor back in there and balance it out with some acid blend.  What say you?
Jeff Brown
Southern Maine Homebrewers

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
Re: Fixing a bland Cyser
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 05:43:16 pm »
What's the current flavor profile and how does it differ with what you were shooting for?  Bland is a broad description.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline mr_jeffers

• Cellarman
  • Saco, ME
Re: Fixing a bland Cyser
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 06:55:52 pm »
Sorry about that.  I have a hard time putting descriptors to what I'm tasting, but I'll do my best.

It has a descent, non-assertive nose.  Slight honey/apple, with a hint of certain spice I can't quite put my finger on.

The mouthfeel is thin. Slightly tart with some astringency on the tongue.  No apple or honey flavor.  Would never guess it was a cyser.
Jeff Brown
Southern Maine Homebrewers