Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oxygenating Wort  (Read 8447 times)

Offline pmallory

• Cellarman
Oxygenating Wort
« on: November 14, 2010, 09:18:59 pm »
I feel that I have underestimated how important it is to oxygenate my wort and starters to achieve the best conditions for yeast. I am curious what methods have worked for other people. I have heard of a stir plate and am curious if they work well and whats the cheapest way to get one. I've also seen people just slosh their beer around in a carboy, or splashing your wort into the fermenter. Does anybody else have any suggestions for oxygenating wort for the fermenter or the starter?

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
Re: Oxygenating Wort
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 09:46:55 pm »
Oxygenating your wort is very important for fermentation.  Yeast growth requires oxygen for proper cell division.  I just slosh the wort in the carboy to aerate.  It seems to work well.  Others use pure oxygen for aerating.  I guess it, partially, comes down to personal preference.  Hope this helps.

Happy Brewing
Brandon

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 10:57:02 pm »
It is relatively simple and not too expensive to properly oxygenate your starters and wort. Most LHBS' sell the adapter for the red O2 tanks. Like this : http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/fermenting-equipment/aeration/economy-oxygenation-kit-w-regulator-and-stone.html
You have to get the tanks at your local hardware store for $10.  For me that's worth it. A little red tank lasts probably 10 batches for me. I time the length I send O2 into my starters and wort. 30 seconds for starters, 2 minutes for 5G of wort. Not too scientific, but I have seen very good results and can repeat the same process each time. The next step up would be to get a bigger, refillable O2 tank and a regulator. Not worth it for me, but it would be cool!
For me I never bothered to try to aerate me wort. Yeast don't want just "air", they want oxygen. A stir plate would be cool also. I've seen plans that don't look too difficult to make. I have had good success with my "little" 500-800ml starters with no stir plate, just the occasional swirl by hand in  the 12 or so hours they are going.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 05:01:26 am »
You have to get the tanks at your local hardware store for $10. 

*1 on the small red O2 tanks & a sintered stone. But no $10 refills for me, for a while anyway. One of the local Home Depots had a shopping cart full up by the front of the store..... on sale for a $1 each. Got me 6 of 'em. Happy day.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 06:25:34 am »
For me I never bothered to try to aerate me wort. Yeast don't want just "air", they want oxygen. A stir plate would be cool also.

Some strains of yeast require more O2 than others.  Sierra Nevada uses sterile filtered air as the O2 source.  More flocculant yeast usually require a higher dissolved O2 level, so you need an O2 tank and stone to get to the higher levels (this is covered in "Yeast").

Stir plates are ubercool. 
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2010, 07:13:23 am »
I use a mix-stir rod that is attached to a drill motor.

This method incorporates O2 from the atmospherere into the wort. It's easy to use and produces good results.
Ron Price

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 08:45:38 am »
We use an O2 tank and stone.  It makes a considerable difference in the quality of your beer.

We also started using a stir plate.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/northern-brewer-stir-plate.html
http://www.northernbrewer.com/default/2000-ml-yeast-starter-kit.html

With a properly made starter we can get a krausen on the wort in about 6 hours.  The cost of the stir plate and the starter kit was about $100.  However, in the past we would make 2 gallons of starter for high gravity beers using 2# of DME.  Now we make 1.5L of starter with 1.5 cups of DME for the same high gravity batches.  It saves us approximately $20 per batch, so in the long run it's a really good thing.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 08:59:32 am »
I've used a MixStir for the last 10 years and it works great.  As far as I can tell when compared to friends who use an O2 system, I'd have to say the MixStir is as effective in the results it produces.  I recently started using a stir plate for starters and I immediately saw benefits form it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 11:50:32 am »
Stir plate for starters, Mix Stir for normal batches, pure O2 through a sintered stone for big batches.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 09:58:57 pm »
Mix Stir for normal batches, pure O2 through a sintered stone for big batches.

Just curious, why the difference?  I use pure O2 for all batches, more for big 'uns.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 10:42:51 pm »
For all my brews I place the yeast starters on the stir plate.  Then as soon as I inoculate the wort with the yeast, I add a dose of  pure oxygen through a carb stone.  If it's a high gravity brew (9% - 12%) not only am I adding a high yeast count, but I come back twelve hours later and add some more pure oxygen through a carb stone.  

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 10:50:51 pm by pyrite »
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline pmallory

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 11:27:20 pm »
What is a MixStir?

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 05:09:08 am »
What is a MixStir?
Bluesman has a photo of it about six posts up.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesssman

• Cellarman
    • Home Brewer TV
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 10:02:32 am »
For all my brews I place the yeast starters on the stir plate.  Then as soon as I inoculate the wort with the yeast, I add a dose of  pure oxygen through a carb stone.  

I too use a stir plate and I built an inline 02 aerator which goes between my chiller and the fermenter.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2010, 11:05:49 am »
Mix Stir for normal batches, pure O2 through a sintered stone for big batches.

Just curious, why the difference?  I use pure O2 for all batches, more for big 'uns.
Shaking the bejeesus out of a regular strength batch of ale is enough oxygenation for the yeast. For lagers and high gravity ales shaking with air won't get enough oxygen into solution for the yeast.
Brew on