Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pub Grub  (Read 5953 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Pub Grub
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 12:39:30 am »
Some of the worst Fish and Chips I've had were in England and Ireland though . . . truly terrible greasy food.  But I've had great samples there too . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 05:50:20 am »
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2010, 07:12:17 am »
Are fish and chips traditional pub grub?  This is a genuine question, I sort of gathered that traditionally fish and chips were mostly a specialty of dedicated takeaway fish and chip shops....street food basically.  Did the traditional English pubs of yesteryear do a lot of fish frying as well?

Granted today they are ubiquitous in brewpubs (every brewpub seems to feel they must trumpet that their pale ale is in the batter), so they are at the very least modern pub grub.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2010, 11:34:05 am »
I think it's "quick" food. Perfect for people who have been drinking. I haven't been over "there" in... 25 years? So maybe things have changed. Not even sure they use newspaper to wrap your order in anymore.

And weaz I like those scotch-eggs. I think they're done down here at some place.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 02:43:41 pm »
Well I hear over there Indian takeaway is all the rage.  There's talk of making chicken tikka masala "Britain's national dish", which sort of hurts my brain.  I guess no worse than America's infatuation with pizza and tacos, in that its a domestic adaptation of a foreign dish that becomes wildly popular, but still...I guess the days of the Sunday joint of roast beef are long past.

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 03:06:17 pm »
Ive been to London a few times. I think almost every pub has fish and chips. The fish and chips at the carry away places is usually not very good. Or at least that was my experience. I was at one place that made sausages battered and deep fried.That was actually pretty good.

Indian food in London is fantastic too. Just wonderful. Also, Dim Sum in London is really great. There are a couple places in their "China Town" which is just adjacent to Lester Square.

I miss London, I hope to go back there someday.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 06:32:54 pm »
I guess it's not exactly pub grub, but anyone got a recipe for a good Irish coddle?
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.