Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146774 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #120 on: February 16, 2011, 11:15:20 pm »
Ok, I'll bite. What is HP sauce?

An A1 type sauce but more ketchupy.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #121 on: February 16, 2011, 11:26:42 pm »
Raw and grilled tuna (ahi) is a staple here in the middle of the Pacific.
Mmmm . . . I love poke, I've never had better than when we were on the Big Island.  Do you make it?  And have a recipe you care to share? :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #122 on: February 16, 2011, 11:43:19 pm »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline punatic

« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2011, 12:16:22 am »
Raw and grilled tuna (ahi) is a staple here in the middle of the Pacific.
Mmmm . . . I love poke, I've never had better than when we were on the Big Island.  Do you make it?  And have a recipe you care to share? :)

I usually just make ahi sashimi.  I make up a nice strong wasabi-shoyu dipping sauce. That is my favorite. 

A 90 minute marinate in a honey-wasabi-shoyu sauce and a flash on the grill is awesome too.
Alton Brown's Chimney Tuna Loin

Ahi poke (pronounced ah hee po kay) is ubiquitous here.  Every supermarket sells 50 different kinds of poke. There are even kaukau wagons that sell it on the roadside.  As many ways to make it as there are mangos in Puna.  I usually buy it already made. 

Poke & beer the inseparable pau hana pair

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2011, 12:37:46 am »
Ahi poke (pronounced ah hee po kay) is ubiquitous here.  Every supermarket sells 50 different kinds of poke.

I don't know what's happening here, but it seems like suddenly every restaurant out here is adding a poke to the menu and I freaking love it. The local Korean sushi restuarant has a not poke poke on the menu that I love with crisped wontons.

Give me more, let me quit a Broadway play from mercury poisoning cause I will eat it up.

Plus, a seared tuna loin.. one of the best foods ever!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline punatic

« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2011, 01:17:39 am »

Just kidding.  It's a sauce that's on the table in British pubs like catsup is on tables here in the US.  I can't imagine having shepard's pie without some HP sauce on it. Works well on fish and chips too.  HP stands for Houses of Parliament, not "The Boy Who Lived."

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2011, 01:36:01 am »
A 90 minute marinate in a honey-wasabi-shoyu sauce and a flash on the grill is awesome too.
Alton Brown's Chimney Tuna Loin
I'm literally drooling over this . . .

Poke & beer the inseparable pau hana pair
Ok, now it's running out of the corner of my mouth and down the side of my chin . . . I could eat that every day.  For every meal.  So good.  I'm going to have to make some, it's not everywhere here the way it is there.

Btw, there's a restaurant here called Pau Hana.  i have yet to try it, but I need to fix that soon.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2011, 12:35:25 pm »

Just kidding.  It's a sauce that's on the table in British pubs like catsup is on tables here in the US.  I can't imagine having shepard's pie without some HP sauce on it. Works well on fish and chips too.  HP stands for Houses of Parliament, not "The Boy Who Lived."

Ah, interesting. Is it worth picking up a bottle? I've never eaten shepard's pie with any kind of sauce on it.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2011, 01:34:41 pm »

Ah, interesting. Is it worth picking up a bottle? I've never eaten shepard's pie with any kind of sauce on it.

The stuff is awesome, and an essential ingredient to a bacon sandwich. Although, I'd go for worcester  sauce on a shepherds pie instead.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2011, 02:34:18 pm »
The stuff is awesome, and an essential ingredient to a bacon sandwich. Although, I'd go for worcester  sauce on a shepherds pie instead.

+1 to that, although I generally use a pretty liberal hand with it while cooking the shepherds pie, so not as much maybe needed later.

Another note on Worcestershire, the offbrands (at least in the states) taste like garbage.  You can buy name brand ketchup and offbrand ketchup and be underwhelmed by the difference, but the off-brand (non Lea and Perrins) worcestershire sauce I've tasted, well, I threw the stuff out, and that's saying something because I hate wasting food!

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2011, 02:38:30 pm »

+1 to that, although I generally use a pretty liberal hand with it while cooking the shepherds pie, so not as much maybe needed later.

Another note on Worcestershire, the offbrands (at least in the states) taste like garbage.  You can buy name brand ketchup and offbrand ketchup and be underwhelmed by the difference, but the off-brand (non Lea and Perrins) worcestershire sauce I've tasted, well, I threw the stuff out, and that's saying something because I hate wasting food!

ONLY Lee and Perrins will do. There is no alternative that even comes close.
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2011, 02:54:20 pm »
Does HP sauce taste better if you pronounce it "Hātch Pee" sauce instead of "Ātch Pee" sauce? :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2011, 03:00:26 pm »
Does HP sauce taste better if you pronounce it "Hātch Pee" sauce instead of "Ātch Pee" sauce? :)

No. Quite the reverse
Bristol Craft Brewers

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »
Soup.

Was at an off road/hunting lodge this weekend (5 gallon corny evaporated) and everyone brought some food. I brought a huge veggie with dip platter, so did someone else..... so I took half of it home. Took one of the containers with turkey broth from thanksgiving out of the freezer, dumped the veggies in there, a pint of ale, and grilled and sliced some sweet italian sausage.

Hmmmm, good.  8)
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2011, 04:16:27 pm »

ONLY Lee and Perrins will do. There is no alternative that even comes close.

Annie's makes a vegetarian worcestershire that is quite good. perfect for ceaser salads when you aren't craving the anchovy goodness.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce