Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146653 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #180 on: March 07, 2011, 10:20:34 am »

That's a good idea I'm gonna have to try, smoked paella sounds really good. I think pimenton/smoked paprika is added normally and in this case it seems smoking the whole thing would be pretty tasty.

No calamari though?

Wife is not a seafood fan.  I considered sneaking some tiny sea scallops in I have in the freezer, but if the whole thing came out tasting of fish, I'd have a lot of paella to eat all by myself...

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #181 on: March 07, 2011, 10:43:50 am »
So - you put seafood in it anyway, yeah?

;)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #182 on: March 07, 2011, 10:52:23 am »
Chicks not liking seafood or the smells of brewing... ::)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #183 on: March 07, 2011, 10:53:10 am »
No, because last time I used these particular scallops, they ended up making the entire dish REALLY fishy.

Maybe whole shrimp sometime, that would work I think and not overdo the seafood aspect for the wife.  What to do with these scallops though...maybe a phad thai so heavily laced with chilies that no one will be able to detect anything but fire?

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #184 on: March 07, 2011, 11:00:04 am »
No, because last time I used these particular scallops, they ended up making the entire dish REALLY fishy.

Methinks you need fresher scallops. Seafood should never smell/tasty fishy. Are you inland?
----

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #185 on: March 07, 2011, 11:15:09 am »
Oh yes, these are the cheap frozen kind.  And I am thoroughly landlocked, thousands of miles from an ocean, which means that seafood tends to be either sub-par, ridiculously expensive, and occasionally, both.

I have had larger bay scallops in a nice sushi house, and the raw scallop I had didn't taste of fish...it didn't taste of ANYTHING.  I was surprised how almost perfectly flavourless that scallop was!  Very delicate.  But getting sushi-grade fish locally is both difficult and very, very expensive.

Whereas chicken runs from 50c a lb to 2 dollars a lb, depending on cut, so chicken paella is quite affordable!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #186 on: March 07, 2011, 11:26:58 am »
Oh yes, these are the cheap frozen kind.  And I am thoroughly landlocked, thousands of miles from an ocean, which means that seafood tends to be either sub-par, ridiculously expensive, and occasionally, both.

I have had larger bay scallops in a nice sushi house, and the raw scallop I had didn't taste of fish...it didn't taste of ANYTHING.  I was surprised how almost perfectly flavourless that scallop was!  Very delicate.  But getting sushi-grade fish locally is both difficult and very, very expensive.

Whereas chicken runs from 50c a lb to 2 dollars a lb, depending on cut, so chicken paella is quite affordable!

I know paella is about the melding of flavours but perhaps you could sear some of the scallops separatly and add them to taste. Then the whole dish wouldn't be 'tainted' and you could have your shellfish
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #187 on: March 07, 2011, 05:42:15 pm »

Man, that right there is a reason why I miss the US and A sometimes. How fun would that be, a hot wings night with neighbors! My neighbors are way too %*&# picky about what they eat.

That's too bad.  But, maybe you could have escargot night???
Wings were awesome, did the Thai, traditional buffalo and dry seasoned with fresh cracked pepper, sea salt and a bit of garlic powder shaken on when they were still hot.   6 of us ate about 15 lbs of wings, neighbours made corn bread and coleslaw. 

Only down side was one of the neighbours has celiac so no gluten which means no panco breading.  I guess we can survive without.

We do the same thing in the summer with fish and in the fall with a deep fried chicken/turkey.  I love my turkey fryer!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #188 on: March 07, 2011, 07:51:53 pm »
I'm down with a sinus infection so the wife is cooking some sort of curried lamb dish-that smell is getting through.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #189 on: March 07, 2011, 07:55:58 pm »
I'm down with a sinus infection so the wife is cooking some sort of curried lamb dish-that smell is getting through.

I love the aroma of fresh cooked curry dishes. It's one of those aromas that can almost knock you over.  :)

Tonight it was oven baked Chicken Parm for the misses and I.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #190 on: March 07, 2011, 11:32:37 pm »
Baked salmon with a soy/ginger/onion marinade, asparagus and fingerling potatoes.  Awesome.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #191 on: March 07, 2011, 11:36:16 pm »
Spent the last couple of days "camping."  Humped in spam musubi, hard-boiled eggs, raw macnuts, smoked marlin, and a couple of bottles of Guinness FES.

We weren't there for the cuisine.  Location - location- location!  Awesome!!  

If you check news for Hawaii Island recently you will get an idea where we had dinner...  It was not served cold.   ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #192 on: March 08, 2011, 12:04:11 am »
Pastrami sandwich and swiss on double fiber bread with homemade mustard. Small bag of doritos and a cup of bean soup. Water.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #193 on: March 08, 2011, 12:10:50 am »
Pastrami sandwich and swiss on double fiber bread with homemade mustard. Small bag of doritos and a cup of bean soup. Water.

Haute cuisine!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #194 on: March 08, 2011, 03:57:38 am »
Mmmm... Dorritos.
----