Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146715 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #210 on: March 27, 2011, 08:41:36 pm »
Now that is a fabulous dish right there Matt! Real Aisian influences at work there. I really love the flavor of the Chinese and Aisian induced sauces along with the high heat searing methods to bring together a really fine cuisine. I could eat their cuisine weekly for sure.
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #211 on: March 27, 2011, 09:31:35 pm »
Nice job and pics. I don't mind a dim one. Got that problem myself since the is no flash on the phone.

Anyway, us homebrewers with burners ought to be able to knock out Chinese without any problems. Most ranges can't get hot enough.

I'm hungry.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #212 on: March 27, 2011, 09:38:19 pm »
Last night was grilled scallops and shrimp on salad, tonight was steak and grilled taters.  And my daughter made and excellent wine/mushroom sauce, her roommate made creamed spinach.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #213 on: March 27, 2011, 09:47:32 pm »
Sichuan Dry-Fried Chicken.  This stuff has become like crack for me.  Honestly, I make it at least once a week, sometimes more.

Seasoning the wok -- the hurricane burner makes easy work of it!

Once you wok you never go bok (back)!   ::)

My wife gave me a new carbon steel wok for Christmas.  I got to season this one myself.  It is my favorite gift.  I use it all of the time!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #214 on: March 27, 2011, 09:50:51 pm »
Sichuan Dry-Fried Chicken.  This stuff has become like crack for me.  Honestly, I make it at least once a week, sometimes more.

Seasoning the wok -- the hurricane burner makes easy work of it!

Once you wok you never go bok (back)!   ::)

My wife gave me a new carbon steel wok for Christmas.  I got to season this one myself.  It is my favorite gift.  I use it all of the time!
And I have hell keeping my wife from scrubbing my wok(and my dutch oven) with a scouring pad and soap.  It may be what finally starts our divorce proceedings :o

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2011, 08:10:29 am »
Clean your own wok!  Properly seasoned, it usually just needs a good spray of water and maybe a wipe with a plain cloth to be clean.  I always clean mine immediately after using (just like cast iron skillet) and put it back on the (off) burner to make sure the water all goes away quickly.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2011, 10:06:48 am »
Clean your own wok! 
I do, but last week after I cleaned and dried it she decided it wasn't clean enough and was about to put Dawn in it.  I use a rubber spatula to get the chunks off then a wet paper towl to get any excess oil and that's it.  Dry with a dish towel and put it away so she doesn't see it.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2011, 10:09:44 am »
Not clean enough, as in "eww, why is it all black?  I can scrub it and make it nice and shiny."  Grrrrr...

Yes, hide your good stuff.  As true for cookware as it is for booze.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #218 on: April 01, 2011, 11:02:01 am »
Not clean enough, as in "eww, why is it all black?  I can scrub it and make it nice and shiny."  Grrrrr...

Yes, hide your good stuff.  As true for cookware as it is for booze.

A big +1 there.  Nobody touches my wok 'cept for me.  It's 20 years old and still works great.  A scrub with hot water, a quick rinse, towel dry and back to the cabinet.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #219 on: April 19, 2011, 04:01:15 am »
Came home last night to a new dish the wife whipped up: spicy thai basil chicken (!!!) and a salad made from leftover chipotle corn salsa, shredded krab, cucumber and basil. FREAKING AWESOME. Also had it with a cambodian beer, which from a taste perspective was basically a relabeled tsing tao.

Yummy in my tummy.

And, no, there are no Chipotle restaurants here, but I got the recipe from the corn salsa from chipotlefan.com - that is one awesome website.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #220 on: April 19, 2011, 06:36:36 am »
Spicy Thai Basil Chicken reminds me of Larb Gai.  Yum.  Love that stuff.  It's often on the menu as a salad or appetizer, but I try to get it as a main course.  Either on rice or in lettuce leaves.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #221 on: April 19, 2011, 07:28:02 am »
Spicy Thai Basil Chicken reminds me of Larb Gai.  Yum.  Love that stuff.  It's often on the menu as a salad or appetizer, but I try to get it as a main course.  Either on rice or in lettuce leaves.

Oh, speaking of lettuce leaves, have you ever tried spring rolls wrapped in romaine lettuce leaves with some mint thrown in? The lettuce really cuts through the fat and provides a nice cooling effect.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #222 on: April 19, 2011, 07:59:21 am »
I've got some steak marinating in a soy/garlic/chili/scallion/sesame marinade right now for bulgogi tonight, with romaine lettuce leaves, green onions, cucumber, rice, and a good Korean barbeque sauce to go with.  Oh, and a bottle of soju!   ;D  No kimchi though...I draw the line somewhere...

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #223 on: April 19, 2011, 12:05:13 pm »
Oh, speaking of lettuce leaves, have you ever tried spring rolls wrapped in romaine lettuce leaves with some mint thrown in? The lettuce really cuts through the fat and provides a nice cooling effect.

Iceberg lettuce, basil and/or cilantro and the crunchy spring-roll pieces. Diluted nước mắm with sugar and shredded carrots as a dipping sauce. One of my all-time favorite dishes!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #224 on: April 20, 2011, 07:08:17 am »
No pictures, but the boolgogi was our best yet.  The key this time was to do things a bit differently than traditional...cut a large steak up into still-thick pieces (about 6-8 for a 1.5lb steak) and marinate those, then grill as large pieces like that...THEN slice thinly after the fact.  The marinade still imparts a ton of flavor, but the steak remains more tender and its easier not to overcook it.  Wrapped up in a romaine leaf with rice, green onion, cucumber, and a Korean BBQ sauce...good stuff, and even with a modest quantity salt and sugar in the marinade, surprisingly healthy too!  I have some remaining bits of it in the fridge for lunch and I'm trying to convince myself not to raid it for breakfast...