Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146861 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #225 on: April 26, 2011, 10:51:48 pm »
Beef theme? A 1.32 pound bone-in ribeye. Garlic rubbed with coarse sea-salt and fresh cracked-pepper. Charcoal roasted 2 minutes each side at 400 followed by a 15 minute rest. Another 2 minutes per side at 600. Rest for 5 minutes. Served with strong beer and followed by Champignon Cambozola for dessert.

Nice mid-rare.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #226 on: April 27, 2011, 01:17:33 am »
Ooh, MEAT. That looks awesome euge.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #227 on: April 27, 2011, 01:25:18 am »
Stinky cheese!  Yum!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #228 on: April 28, 2011, 08:49:57 am »
euge that steak looks awesome!

I have 2 boneless ribeyes that I'm doing the Alton Brown 'quickie' dry aging method in the fridge right now.  Then I'll pull 'em and coat 'em with kosher salt and let them sit at room temp for 30-40 minutes.  Those two things right there reduce the water content quite a bit (like dry aging does, among other things).  Then pat them very dry with paper towels (also absorbs some extra salt) and cook them in a really hot cast iron skillet.  I have a grill but I just prefer them in the skillet.  Then a nice pat of steak butter to finish it off.  Lately I've been really liking this method.  Pics to come.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #229 on: April 28, 2011, 09:09:10 am »

I have 2 boneless ribeyes that I'm doing the Alton Brown 'quickie' dry aging method in the fridge right now.  Then I'll pull 'em and coat 'em with kosher salt and let them sit at room temp for 30-40 minutes.  Those two things right there reduce the water content quite a bit (like dry aging does, among other things).  Then pat them very dry with paper towels (also absorbs some extra salt) and cook them in a really hot cast iron skillet.  I have a grill but I just prefer them in the skillet.  Then a nice pat of steak butter to finish it off.  Lately I've been really liking this method.  Pics to come.

Make sure you let that steak rest for 40 minutes or longer, not 30-40: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #230 on: April 28, 2011, 09:47:28 am »
I'll give your approach a go. Tried cooking steaks all sorts of ways. I like them from a smoking hot cast-iron skillet too.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #231 on: April 28, 2011, 10:07:11 am »
I've become a believer of the overnight salt (Kosher Salt), uncovered on a rack and in the fridge method.  A good Ribeye, T-Bone, Sirloin or ?? steak deserves the best treatment IMO.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #232 on: April 28, 2011, 10:27:26 am »

I have 2 boneless ribeyes that I'm doing the Alton Brown 'quickie' dry aging method in the fridge right now.  Then I'll pull 'em and coat 'em with kosher salt and let them sit at room temp for 30-40 minutes.  Those two things right there reduce the water content quite a bit (like dry aging does, among other things).  Then pat them very dry with paper towels (also absorbs some extra salt) and cook them in a really hot cast iron skillet.  I have a grill but I just prefer them in the skillet.  Then a nice pat of steak butter to finish it off.  Lately I've been really liking this method.  Pics to come.

Make sure you let that steak rest for 40 minutes or longer, not 30-40: http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html
Thanks for that.  The only problem I have with that article is that it's pretty common knowledge that to get the best sear (i.e. crust) it needs to be dry...totally dry.  They were cooking it with all that pooled water still on the steak which is a big taboo no-no and I would expect them to know better.  I've often let it rest longer (just because I was drinking beer or cooking something else, etc.) and my experience was that resting too long wasn't as good.  I need to test this again though.  Hey, I've got 2 ribeyes, if I remember I'll test it again.

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #233 on: April 30, 2011, 09:02:19 pm »
Steak n sparagus, one of my favorite combos:

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #234 on: April 30, 2011, 09:07:54 pm »
Pan-fried ribeye?
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #235 on: April 30, 2011, 10:12:38 pm »
Pan fried ribeye indeed!

Man that looks really good! Nice and crusty. How thick was that steak to begin with?

I was hungry after a day on the road. Found a nice porterhouse and split it into two steaks- the filet bacon wrapped. Brussel sprouts and a Cinq Cents to wash it down with. Couldn't eat it all...

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #236 on: May 01, 2011, 05:56:21 am »
Pan-fried ribeye?
Yep, I just like the skillet better than the grill.  I did a 3-day quickie dry-aging a la Alton Brown.  I didn't weigh the steaks before/after but they felt unusually light and had great flavor and texture.  They were about an inch thick.

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
« Reply #237 on: May 01, 2011, 07:47:23 am »
Stuffed Italian bread.  Yum. 

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #238 on: May 05, 2011, 06:51:25 pm »
Shrimp stew! 
Got the shrimp shells on the stove turning into shrimp stock as I write this. 
Once that's done it's time to make a one-beer roux...

My rice cooker's pot sprung a leak.  A tiny pinhole in the aluminum pot.  It won't hold water anymore. How weird is that?
Gotta cook stove-top rice tonight.  Hope I can remember how...   ::)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #239 on: May 06, 2011, 06:55:12 am »
Last time I did something with shrimp and rice, I made a quick stock from the shrimp shells and then used that instead of water to cook the rice.  I make rice on the stove all the time; it works fine.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong