Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146180 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #240 on: May 06, 2011, 12:22:21 pm »
Shrimp shells make wonderful stock!  I always buy shimp with the shells on, and with the heads on if possible.  If I make a shrimp dish that doesn't require stock I save the heads and shells in the freezer until I have enough to make up a batch of shrimp stock.  Yum!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #241 on: May 07, 2011, 09:30:23 pm »
Shrimp shells make wonderful stock!  I always buy shimp with the shells on, and with the heads on if possible.  If I make a shrimp dish that doesn't require stock I save the heads and shells in the freezer until I have enough to make up a batch of shrimp stock.  Yum!

I do the same thing if I think of it. The shells make a great fish stock. I add herbs and seasonings to the stock...maybe some sauteed onion, celary and carrot as well. Makes a tremendous base for soups and stews.

How about a Bouillabaisse.

Ron Price

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #242 on: May 09, 2011, 06:14:12 pm »
some cute little thick-cut lamb chops. cut some rosemary sprigs & rubbed them into the lamb. then some minced garlic and shake of montreal seasoning (mostly pepper & salt). threw 'em on the grill. accompanied by a salad with red lettuce & arugula (both young leaves picked from the garden right before dinner), green onions, perfectly ripe avocado. dressed with a simple vinaigrette of homemade mustard & olive oil. accompanied by an Orchard White (wit) from The Bruery. simple, but it doesn't get much better than that.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #243 on: May 09, 2011, 06:21:38 pm »
Risotto with fresh asparagus and morels.  Pencil-thin asparagus from the CSA box and morels from a co-worker's woods.  Essence of spring. 
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline punatic

« Reply #244 on: May 09, 2011, 06:29:19 pm »
Risotto with fresh asparagus and morels.  Pencil-thin asparagus from the CSA box and morels from a co-worker's woods.  Essence of spring. 

Do you have to have a pencil-thin mustache to eat that asparagus?  (you know... the Boston Blackie kind)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #245 on: May 09, 2011, 06:31:27 pm »
I don't know.  I don't have a pencil-thin anything.   ;D
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #246 on: May 09, 2011, 06:32:45 pm »

Do you have to have a pencil-thin mustache to eat that asparagus?  (you know... the Boston Blackie kind)

only if you're wearing a two-toned Ricky Ricardo jacket while eating the risotto
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline punatic

« Reply #247 on: May 09, 2011, 06:37:05 pm »
I don't know.  I don't have a pencil-thin anything.   ;D

Obviously not a Parrothead...   ;)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #248 on: May 10, 2011, 03:27:26 pm »
Last night was a favorite of mine. Stupidly simple. Almost easier than ordering a pizza, but so much better tasting. Cube some chicken, and saute it in some OO, add a couple chopped green and red peppers sauted with the chicken. Fry a few strips of bacon, and crumble them. Toss in some whole wheat spaghettin noodles, and mix in a packet of ranch dressing mix, and a splash of vegetable oil. Delicious!
   Tonight is hand made peirogies, saurkraut, and kielbasi.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #249 on: May 17, 2011, 10:43:55 am »
Tonight it's steak au poive using bacon-wrapped filets from the foo-foo market.  This weekend I'm making a classic Osso Buco (veal shank also from the foo-foo market) complete with the risotto milanese and gremolata.  I think I'm going to use Anne Burrell's recipe.  As much as I like looking at Giada, when I see Anne cook I can tell she's a 'real' chef by the way she handles a knife/utensils, her speed, etc.  And reading her bio, she cooked/studied in Italy and was Mario's sous-chef.  Works for me.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #250 on: May 17, 2011, 10:45:52 am »

Brill Cream. A little dab'll do you.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #251 on: May 23, 2011, 06:00:05 am »
This weekend I'm making a classic Osso Buco (veal shank also from the foo-foo market) complete with the risotto milanese and gremolata.  I think I'm going to use Anne Burrell's recipe.  As much as I like looking at Giada, when I see Anne cook I can tell she's a 'real' chef by the way she handles a knife/utensils, her speed, etc.  And reading her bio, she cooked/studied in Italy and was Mario's sous-chef.  Works for me.
I ended up using Mario Batali's recipe for the Osso Buco and it was awesome.  In addition to the veggies/juices from the osso buco, the two big veal bones enabled me to make a quasi demi-glace (I just reduced the heck out of it, no roux or anything else).  I also threw some 'porcini mushroom reconstitution water' in there.  I might try pork chops or pork tenderloin with either sauce Robert or Charcutiere (both derivatives of demi-glace).  The risotto melanese was really good and the gremolata was a nice touch but could easily do without.  Highly recommend, I might just use a cheap beef cut next time.

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #252 on: May 29, 2011, 06:52:30 pm »
Chicken and andouille gumbo tonight.  I used 50:50 bacon fat:safflower oil for the roux.  I used chicken thigh meat because it's got a little more fat and some tasty darker meat.  I also like a bit more color in my trinity, so I use red bell peppers.  I had a brain fart at the grocery store today and got "Louisiana" hot sauce instead of tabasco (I keep a number of hot sauces on hand, BTW -- I just happened to have run out of tabasco recently).  Oh well, it tastes ok.  I just don't like that it has a bunch of filler ingredients.  The finished gumbo was out of this world!

Ingredients

Finished roux

Roux with trinity

The finished product.  Garnished with sliced green onion.  Hot sauce and filé powder (ground sassafras) on the side.

Close-up
« Last Edit: May 29, 2011, 06:56:47 pm by Pawtucket Patriot »
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #253 on: May 29, 2011, 07:28:24 pm »
My wife is using some crab meat left over from our mother's day dinner and making crab nachos.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #254 on: May 29, 2011, 08:00:13 pm »
Chicken and andouille gumbo tonight.  I used 50:50 bacon fat:safflower oil for the roux.  I used chicken thigh meat because it's got a little more fat and some tasty darker meat.  I also like a bit more color in my trinity, so I use red bell peppers.  I had a brain fart at the grocery store today and got "Louisiana" hot sauce instead of tabasco (I keep a number of hot sauces on hand, BTW -- I just happened to have run out of tabasco recently).  Oh well, it tastes ok.  I just don't like that it has a bunch of filler ingredients.  The finished gumbo was out of this world!

Looks great.  I can't tell from your pics but hopefully your "Trinity" also includes the "Pope". 
Joe