Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146847 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #270 on: May 31, 2011, 10:58:39 am »
We make plenty of chicken, and keep carcasses in our freezer, along w/ beef bones and pork shanks that may come along.  I always refer to the stuff I make as Stock, honestly we boil it down far enough that it becomes almost Aspic-like (Hooray meat jello!).  I assumed that Broth just meant the commercial stuff normally fortified w/ way too much salt. 

You're making stock and then turning it into demi-glace.  Instant sauce flavor booster.

If you use bones with a lot of connective tissue, you can get stocks that have a high gelatin content.  Make chicken stock and throw in some chicken wings when you do it.  After you cool it in the fridge, it has a consistency of jello.  Warmed up, no problem.  Stocks can give quite a bit of body to sauces this way, which is one reason why I object to those definitions of them being 'thin'.  If they mean 'not reduced' then that's one thing.  But something with that much body isn't thin.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #271 on: June 03, 2011, 08:48:43 am »
I recently did that with the veal bones/aromatics/braising liquid from some Osso Buco.  I've made a couple of pan sauces using it and they have been fantastic.  Just bursting with flavor without bursting with salt.  Similar to the stock/broth confusion, I may still be getting my terms mixed up.  Some sources made it sound like you had to use Sauce Espagnole to make demi-glace, of which the brown roux is a big part (also has some tomato).  Sauce Espagnole is made with Brown stock so I renamed my 'demi-glace' as a 'brown stock' (hey, I re-classify homebrews all the time  ;)).  I'm still unsure what to call it other than damn tasty.

Homebrew club member gave me some home grown tabasco chilis plus a few habaneros and I need to use 'em up.  I got a pork butt and a dozen tomatillos and some cilantro (I have other typical ingredients).  Looking for ideas.  Tentatively was going to braise the butt and make some sort of roasted tomatillo/chili sauce (no recipe yet).  Serve it over rice but I'm open to suggestions.

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #272 on: June 03, 2011, 09:53:49 am »
I recently did that with the veal bones/aromatics/braising liquid from some Osso Buco.  I've made a couple of pan sauces using it and they have been fantastic.  Just bursting with flavor without bursting with salt.  Similar to the stock/broth confusion, I may still be getting my terms mixed up.  Some sources made it sound like you had to use Sauce Espagnole to make demi-glace, of which the brown roux is a big part (also has some tomato).  Sauce Espagnole is made with Brown stock so I renamed my 'demi-glace' as a 'brown stock' (hey, I re-classify homebrews all the time  ;)).  I'm still unsure what to call it other than damn tasty.

That's the classic way to make a brown sauce, which is then reduced for demi-glace.  Reading Tony Bourdain's cookbook, he says nobody does that any more (maybe in true classic French kitchens).  They just reduce veal stock.  Maybe people that work in a professional kitchen could comment.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #273 on: June 03, 2011, 10:11:48 am »
as I understand it stock is made from bones and other animal bits with lots of connective tissue Broth is the liquid that something has been cooked in, not bones etc. so vegetable stock does not exist. 
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #274 on: June 05, 2011, 02:49:27 pm »
Tonight, a charcoal roasted chicken (not really tandoori style) with a rub of bengali spices, bengali butter rice, toor dal, and chapati, plus a jar of red chilli pickle.  Have a pandora station on with the requisite music, now Kushal Das.  Better get cracking.

Anyway, meant to say...bought a bottle of Rooh Afza sharbat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rooh_Afza

Basically, a popular indian summer drink concentrate.  Looks like a koolaid concentrate or something...

But just tried some, and man...do Indians singe their nasal passages or what?  I love their heavy use of spices in cooking, but I got some incense as an extra little gift with a sitar-related order recently, and WOW that stuff has strength, and this rooh afza tastes like incense/perfume.  Man alive!!!!  Not sure I can get through this bottle.  Maybe I'll have acquired the taste by then.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #275 on: June 07, 2011, 01:00:51 pm »
The loving wife made me schweinshaxe tonight with one of the leftover pork trotters we had from Hopmageddon. Served with spaetzel, bavarian red cabbage (!) and a bottle of Guldenberg biere d'abbaye from De Ranke in Wevelgem. Imagine pulled pork wrapped in pork rinds and you'll get an idea of what this tasted like.

I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #276 on: June 07, 2011, 01:04:02 pm »
What's the recipe for the spaetzle, I always have trouble getting them to hold together and not turn into a pile of goo.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #277 on: June 07, 2011, 01:07:31 pm »
Looks awesome Phil. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #278 on: June 07, 2011, 01:20:06 pm »
Man that looks good Phil!  Southern cooking (Southern Germany).

Part of the key to making good spätzle is the way you cut it and drop the dough into the water.  My wife learned a method from her mom using two spoons to cut the dumplings.  I brought one of these home one day and she's been using it instead of two spoons.

spätzlehobel (dumpling planer)

« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 02:08:45 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #279 on: June 07, 2011, 01:27:13 pm »
What's the recipe for the spaetzle, I always have trouble getting them to hold together and not turn into a pile of goo.
Our local German restaurant (and good beer bar) uses chicken stock instead of water for theirs.  I don't know if that affects the consistency, but they taste good.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #280 on: June 07, 2011, 02:48:28 pm »
Man that looks good Phil!  Southern cooking (Southern Germany).

Part of the key to making good spätzle is the way you cut it and drop the dough into the water.  My wife learned a method from her mom using two spoons to cut the dumplings.  I brought one of these home one day and she's been using it instead of two spoons.

spätzlehobel (dumpling planer)

Wife used my ricer. More difficult than a spatzlehobel but not a unitasker ;-)
----

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #281 on: June 07, 2011, 02:49:57 pm »

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/German-Spaetzle-Dumplings/Detail.aspx
----

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #282 on: June 07, 2011, 04:38:48 pm »

cool will have to try that this summer with some fake sausage
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #283 on: June 07, 2011, 07:46:49 pm »

This looks like a good recipe. I think I'll give it a try sometime. I love spaetzle with green beans.
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #284 on: June 08, 2011, 05:09:55 am »

This looks like a good recipe. I think I'll give it a try sometime. I love spaetzle with green beans.

Yeah, I think spaetzle is gonna have to be in regular rotation now. Also the cabbage was absolutely amazing. Not cabbage-y at all, just plain good. http://www.keyingredient.com/recipes/101199/red-cabbage-bavarian-style/
----