Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146717 times)

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #285 on: June 08, 2011, 06:57:18 am »
Didn't read the links but on an Iron Chef episode they just put the batter/dough in a collander and put it over the boiling water and pushed it through with a rubber spatula.  Only took a few seconds.  But you need the right kind of collander.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #286 on: June 08, 2011, 11:10:14 am »
Didn't read the links but on an Iron Chef episode they just put the batter/dough in a collander and put it over the boiling water and pushed it through with a rubber spatula.  Only took a few seconds.  But you need the right kind of collander.

I've done this. One needs to hold the colander above the pot so that it doesn't heat as quickly or the batter will seize up and cook before it has a chance to extrude through the holes. Then it'll be no spaetzl for you!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #287 on: June 08, 2011, 11:16:05 am »
Then it'll be no spaetzl for you!

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #288 on: June 08, 2011, 11:57:33 am »

I've done this. One needs to hold the colander above the pot so that it doesn't heat as quickly or the batter will seize up and cook before it has a chance to extrude through the holes. Then it'll be no spaetzl for you!

yeah, its a b!tch.  one trick I came up with is to put a small amount of luke warm water in a mixing bowl and push the spatzl into this bowl and then when I've finished pressing, take that bowl and add it to the boiling water - sort of like tempering I guess.  its not the best technique, but its better than when it heats up - its like forcing gum into a coin slot.

As much as I hate unitaskers, I want that spatzelpress now though!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #289 on: June 08, 2011, 12:40:57 pm »
As much as I hate unitaskers, I want that spatzelpress now though!
I'm about to buy a pasta machine.  Damn you Iron Chef!

Prolly should order P90X while I'm at it. ;D

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #290 on: June 08, 2011, 05:46:04 pm »
Fried squash & onions and turkey burger patties. Both with a healthy dose of ketchup washed down with a couple of IPA's.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #291 on: June 08, 2011, 06:15:57 pm »
NY strip grilled on charcoal and mesquite chips, MI asparagus sauteed in butta, and IPA. No starch, Doc doesn't approve...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline jamminbrew

• Brewmaster
  • theAntipunk
« Reply #292 on: June 08, 2011, 06:18:24 pm »
I been marinating some chicken kabobs that are going on the grill now...  with my wife's homemade baked beans and cornbread...  and a nice abbey ale to beat the heat!
In caelo cerivisiae nil, hic igitur bibimus.

Online jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #293 on: June 08, 2011, 06:35:54 pm »
Farm raised mussels, steamed in poblano pepper wheat beer, with sauteed chorizo, poblano pepper, shallots, corn and garlic with some cream for flavor and texture, served with garlic parmesan bread.
I had Hopfenweisse, SWMBO had champagne.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #294 on: June 08, 2011, 06:58:20 pm »
Grilled Chicken Salad garnished with hard boiled egg and bacon. Served with Ranch Dressing.  :)
Ron Price

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #295 on: June 08, 2011, 08:42:48 pm »
Blackened Jamaican Jerk chicken. Steamed veggies and mashed spuds...

It's premade sauce that I bought in Jamaica. Marinated the breasts overnight. Yum.
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #296 on: June 13, 2011, 08:41:48 am »
Lasagna with homemade sauce and homemade fresh pasta.  My maiden voyage with the new pasta machine (Marcato Atlas 150).  Got a deal for $45 shipped.  I made double the amount of dough just in case but didn't need it (I put it through anyway, need the practice!).  It does get to be a >2-handed operation when you get down to the tightest settings but I was able to somehow clumsily get it done.

I used 100% Hodgson Semolina Pasta Flour for one batch and 1:1 mixture of same and plain King Arthur AP flour for the second.  100% semolina flour was slightly easier to work with.

Next up is a 3-cheese agnolotti.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #297 on: June 13, 2011, 10:45:25 am »
Interesting. I think the 100% semolina flour is harder to work with.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #298 on: June 13, 2011, 11:10:51 am »
I find when I use 100% semolina it is a harder dough but it doesn't rebound as much under the rollers so it's easier to get into shape. the higher the percentage of 'normal' flour the more bounce back after rolling so you have to let it rest more. in that way it's easier. However I have the kitchenaid pasta roller set so I don't have to hand crank anything. I like the final texture of the 100% semolina much more so I pretty much always use that.

When I am making udon it takes forever and gets really tough cause the buckwheat gets really sticky and I have to keep dusting it with more flour.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #299 on: June 13, 2011, 11:25:52 am »
Udon. That's a great idea! Never thought to make it.