Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146839 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #315 on: June 16, 2011, 01:48:10 pm »
Depends on where you live but usually peking duck is the best bet at a chinese place. Plus that stuff is probably one of the best dishes on the planet.

Chickens are more expensive here because factory farming doesn't exist on the same scale as in the US. This is coming from an Arkansas boy who grew up around tyson chicken plants his whole childhood. A roast chicken is something you do for company or for the big family meal on Sundays, and so the market can bear a little bit more cost and a more well-raised bird. We never buy anything less than Label Rouge chickens, which is part of the appelation for how chickens are raised. http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Label_rouge Typically they're free-range corn-fed chickens. Most of the grocery stores here sell the mass-produced stuff as well, and it comes in the standard legs only, legs and thighs, etc type packaging. Lest you think I'm Mr. Moneybags, when I buy wings I get the cheap stuff, I paid about 30 euros for enough wings for 20 people which is a pretty good deal in my book.

Also I've noticed that French people, and by that I mean what my wife cooks for me, eat a more varied diet than what I had in the US. Sometimes I've gone a week without having any red or white meat. Although there's usually bacon.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #316 on: June 22, 2011, 07:16:59 am »
my little man had his first birthday yesterday and we had a small party for him at the house.  excuse the picture quality as it's a picture of a picture....

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #317 on: June 22, 2011, 07:47:05 am »
Looking good ds.

I am thinking pasta is order tonight. I made some Bolognese Sauce to go with it. A tossed salad and voila!

Instant dinner.  8)
Ron Price

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #318 on: June 22, 2011, 08:08:33 am »
my little man had his first birthday yesterday and we had a small party for him at the house.  excuse the picture quality as it's a picture of a picture....

Man that looks awesome! That's shrimp scampi, with linguini? Or something else? I'm guessing garlic bread too. Hope you saved me some
----

Offline SpanishCastleAle

• Brewer
« Reply #319 on: June 22, 2011, 08:15:37 am »
That looks really tasty ds!

Tonight's my first attempt at stuffed pasta using my new pasta machine.  Got two types of goat cheese, some fontina, and have some ricotta leftover plus some fresh basil and sage.  Still have no idea what I'll do with it.  Once the ravioli/agnolotti/tortelloni/whatever-you-want-to-call-it is done I plan to make a very light parmesan/cream sauce and put some dried orange peel on top.  I had a dish at one of Batali's restaurants (B&B in Las Vegas) that was goat cheese tortelloni with dried orange peel and wild fennel pollen that was amazing.  Salad, some hot italian sausage, and some bread and I'm good.

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #320 on: June 22, 2011, 09:33:29 am »

Man that looks awesome! That's shrimp scampi, with linguini? Or something else? I'm guessing garlic bread too. Hope you saved me some

homemade shrimp alfredo!  all from scratch.  took me six hours prep time.  it was fantastic though!

AHA# 196703

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #321 on: June 22, 2011, 09:42:14 am »

homemade shrimp alfredo!  all from scratch.  took me six hours prep time.  it was fantastic though!

wait, homemade pasta as well?  damn that's a lot of work.  looks yummy - and only 20 minutes till lunch - hmm....
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #322 on: June 22, 2011, 09:46:54 am »

wait, homemade pasta as well?  damn that's a lot of work.  looks yummy - and only 20 minutes till lunch - hmm....

yessir....  three pounds of it.

AHA# 196703

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #323 on: June 22, 2011, 10:36:11 am »
Damn that looks tasty. Happy B-day little man!

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #324 on: June 22, 2011, 10:59:11 am »

AHA# 196703

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #325 on: June 23, 2011, 10:15:07 am »
That is one happy boy!
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #326 on: June 23, 2011, 01:12:23 pm »
I'm vacationing in Mobile with my parents so tonight is full-on seafood.  I'm frying oysters, sister is making crab/shrimp gumbo, moms boiling shrimp and doing tater salad.  The wife and I are about to sneak out to the "grocery" store and have a couple dozen on the half shell at the oyster bar down the road to get primed for dinner.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #327 on: June 23, 2011, 01:21:46 pm »
I'm vacationing in Mobile with my parents so tonight is full-on seafood.  I'm frying oysters, sister is making crab/shrimp gumbo, moms boiling shrimp and doing tater salad.  The wife and I are about to sneak out to the "grocery" store and have a couple dozen on the half shell at the oyster bar down the road to get primed for dinner.

Yum, I'll be over right away
Joe

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #328 on: June 24, 2011, 03:07:39 pm »
Chicago-style "pizza" with 500 g of sausage (fennel, marjoram, sage, garlic, hot pepper, etc) and about 4 slices of thick-cut bacon. Weaze I was thinking of you as I made this. It also has about 600 g of cheese, and I think I will probably have a heart attack tomorrow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlhQQnEgFck
----

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #329 on: June 24, 2011, 03:10:26 pm »
Chicago-style "pizza" with 500 g of sausage (fennel, marjoram, sage, garlic, hot pepper, etc) and about 4 slices of thick-cut bacon. Weaze I was thinking of you as I made this. It also has about 600 g of cheese, and I think I will probably have a heart attack tomorrow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xzVOsYGRp8

I love Chicago style pizza. I think you've just inspired me to make some dough for some deep dish pies this weekend.
Ron Price