Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146712 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #330 on: June 24, 2011, 03:10:55 pm »

Mine's first is July 9th. I hope I can get a photo as good as yours.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #331 on: June 24, 2011, 03:12:30 pm »
Chicago-style "pizza" with 500 g of sausage (fennel, marjoram, sage, garlic, hot pepper, etc) and about 4 slices of thick-cut bacon. Weaze I was thinking of you as I made this. It also has about 600 g of cheese, and I think I will probably have a heart attack tomorrow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xzVOsYGRp8

I love Chicago style pizza. I think you've just inspired me to make some dough for some deep dish pies this weekend.

What I used:

Chicago deep dish pizza dough
3 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
½ cup olive oil

Mix yeast ¼ cup of warm water, ¼ cup of flour and sugar in a bowl cover and let stand in a warm place for 15~20 minutes then mix in all the other ingredients mix well and let stand covered for about 1.5 hours, punch down and knead until the correct texture is achieved (add a bit more flower so it’s not sticky) split into two dough balls and roll out for two pizzas!

Ended up using all of it with a bit of leftovers. Had a 24- hour rise in the fridge though.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #332 on: June 24, 2011, 03:21:07 pm »
Chicago-style "pizza" with 500 g of sausage (fennel, marjoram, sage, garlic, hot pepper, etc) and about 4 slices of thick-cut bacon. Weaze I was thinking of you as I made this. It also has about 600 g of cheese, and I think I will probably have a heart attack tomorrow. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xzVOsYGRp8

I love Chicago style pizza. I think you've just inspired me to make some dough for some deep dish pies this weekend.

What I used:

Chicago deep dish pizza dough
3 1/4 cups flour
1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 teaspoons table salt
2 teaspoons sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons instant or rapid-rise yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
½ cup olive oil

Mix yeast ¼ cup of warm water, ¼ cup of flour and sugar in a bowl cover and let stand in a warm place for 15~20 minutes then mix in all the other ingredients mix well and let stand covered for about 1.5 hours, punch down and knead until the correct texture is achieved (add a bit more flower so it’s not sticky) split into two dough balls and roll out for two pizzas!

Ended up using all of it with a bit of leftovers. Had a 24- hour rise in the fridge though.

Thanks Phil. Maybe I'll give your recipe a try.
Ron Price

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #333 on: June 25, 2011, 02:23:40 pm »

A friend of mine who is a pro pizza guy makes the best tasting pizza dough I've tasted.  Part of his secret is allowing the dough to have a three day rise in his walk-in refrigerator.  It makes the dough much chewier and flavorful.  The flavor comes from fermentaion byproducts...  hmmm, that sounds familiar.  :)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #334 on: June 25, 2011, 02:41:00 pm »
Tonight it's Maryland Crab Cake sandwiches with cole slaw, fries and .....BEER!  8)
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #335 on: June 25, 2011, 03:32:35 pm »
I was going to do spaghetti but got black-beans soaking; turkey legs and wings plus pork hocks destined for the smoker. The meat will in turn be destined to flavor a wide variety of dishes and meals.

Nothing will be wasted.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #336 on: June 25, 2011, 03:51:57 pm »
Last night I had 4 corndogs. Probably the worst thing health wise that exist but I got in late and was starving.

Tonight, pork ribs on the smoker as we speak.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #337 on: June 25, 2011, 04:13:11 pm »
Last night I had 4 corndogs. Probably the worst thing health wise that exist but I got in late and was starving.

Tonight, pork ribs on the smoker as we speak.

Corndogs rock. I had four last night at work topped with mayo and faux chinese mustard packs scavenged from the breakroom. That was too many I think.

Tubercle did you ever post a good greens recipe?
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #338 on: June 25, 2011, 05:25:37 pm »
Tubercle did you ever post a good greens recipe?

Not yet.

I'll included them in my cornbread post.

I have got got to get permission from my daughter to post, she and I are the only two that knows the corn bread recipe, even Ms. Tubercle doesn't know it ;D
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #339 on: June 25, 2011, 06:32:45 pm »
Wife going out of town for a week, so I made a nice going away dinner.  Used up plenty of stuff from the CSA box, too.

Started with a roasted golden beet salad with a sherry vinaigrette, goat cheese, and toasted walnuts. Then had a proper bistecca alla fiorentina (med rare, of course) with risotto cakes (leftovers from last night repurposed with an egg, some fontina, chives, and panko) and garlic-braised kale and beet greens.  Found a 2001 Maximus (California meritage) hanging out in the walk-in and decided a decade was plenty of time for that. Aged beautifully, and matched with that beef perfectly. No pictures, unless you want to see 3 empty plates.

The BGE kicked butt on that steak. Fired it up to about 700 then gave it four minutes a side.  Rested for 10 minutes while we ate the salad.  Too full for dessert; might have room for another glass of that wine though.  Yeah, I could have found a beer but nothing was going to match as well as a Bordeaux-like wine with that steak.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #340 on: June 26, 2011, 01:42:42 pm »
Alright this thread has inspired me today. Over the last 7 months I have been cooking a lot of the potatoes baked, greens steamed, tofu fried, Gravy dried porcini, pasta dried cause my wife and I have been adjusting to having the baby, So I have had a big ol' jar of semolina in my pantry and smaller ones of pinto and black beans, just sitting there and me with no energy to cook them properly. So this weekend I am going to add 1 homemade item back into our schedule each weekend. Gonna get some pizza dough ready to go for tomorrow night dinner tonight. The wife already requested artichokes and baked potato for tonight though so that is still on. But I will emulsify some lemon juice into the melted butter for the chokes.

I exaggerate a bit, I still make my own tortillas and I think we bought jarred pasta sauce like twice.

If I am going to put some pizza dough together tonight to stick in the fridge and I want the option to have pizza for dinner monday or tuesday or wednesday cut down on the yeast? or should I just chuck it in the freezer on monday night if I'm not going to cook it that night?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #341 on: June 26, 2011, 03:10:31 pm »
Mix the pizza dough as usual but with cold water and place the ball immediately in the fridge in a bowl covered with wrap. It'll rise very slowly over three days. Pull it out and let the dough warm and  finish an hour before docking. If the texture is real tight and snappy it needs to warm/rise more.

If you let it rise at all before putting in the fridge it'll take off and blow before it gets cool enough to retard the proof.

Artichoke hearts and a salty baked potato with a vinaigrette sounds good to me.

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #342 on: June 26, 2011, 03:30:07 pm »
Mix the pizza dough as usual but with cold water and place the ball immediately in the fridge in a bowl covered with wrap. It'll rise very slowly over three days. Pull it out and let the dough warm and  finish an hour before docking. If the texture is real tight and snappy it needs to warm/rise more.

If you let it rise at all before putting in the fridge it'll take off and blow before it gets cool enough to retard the proof.

Guess we've graduated to lager pizza dough makers ay?   

hmmmm...  lager yeast pizza dough...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #343 on: June 26, 2011, 03:45:22 pm »
 hmmmm...  lager yeast pizza dough...

That's interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if the national pizza chains use that type of strain. No idea though if they actually do or not. IMO what might be considered as off flavors in beer actually makes bread tasty.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #344 on: June 26, 2011, 03:55:07 pm »
We've eaten nothing but seafood since June 7 so it's time for some bloody beef on the grill.  Or I could just put the steaks in the sun, turn them after 15 minutes and in another 15 they'll be perfect.  Damn it's hot here.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico