Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146158 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #375 on: September 01, 2011, 02:55:57 am »
I really got to get a flash or some better lighting. :(

Oh what we must endure...

Your dinner looks and sounds great!

Photography-wise, two words:  Photoshop  ;)
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #376 on: September 01, 2011, 03:08:08 am »
I really got to get a flash or some better lighting. :(

Oh what we must endure...

Flexed out of work for the cutting hours initiative. Since I've been living like a monk (literally- drinking lots of beer and eating many vegetables) and haven't really treated myself in a long time. I was starving at the grocery store, but only bought one thing extra... ;D

Lamb loin chops!

To quiet the stomach since I skipped lunch: French boule and a nice bit of Olio Carli, salt and herbs. The extra virgin oil actually tastes like olive- Kalmata olives! Accompanied by an Ayinger Oktoberfest Marzen.

On to preparing the main course.

Sated by a couple slices of bread and a beer I rubbed the chops with salt, fresh cracked pepper, garlic, thyme, oregano and then drizzled with olive oil. Charcoal grilled to mid-rare- about 8 minutes. Served with grilled white-potato slices, Hatch chile and pickled grilled asparagus.

That was some really mild lamb. I was raised eating it so my favorite hands down. Washed down with and post dinner brew: Decadent Imperial IPA from Ska Brewing. Weighs in at a hefty 10%! Delicious.

Got some Coastal rugged mature cheddar for later if I feel peckish. And another chop. Got to eat like this more often!

Man those hatches look great. Nice going!
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #377 on: September 01, 2011, 05:27:37 am »
Impressive looking plates guys. I like this thread.  :)

Keep up the great work.
Ron Price

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #378 on: September 01, 2011, 06:41:16 am »
I roasted a bunch of Hatch chilies last night and got some supercharged ones I think...not only did my eyes burn when I rubbed my eyes...when I put in my contacts this morning they inflicted inscrutable pain!  Had to replace them.  My thought is that the capsaicin just soaked through overnight from the outside of the lens, to permeate the whole thing.  Ouch!

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #379 on: September 01, 2011, 11:22:25 am »
I roasted a bunch of Hatch chilies last night and got some supercharged ones I think...not only did my eyes burn when I rubbed my eyes...when I put in my contacts this morning they inflicted inscrutable pain!  Had to replace them.  My thought is that the capsaicin just soaked through overnight from the outside of the lens, to permeate the whole thing.  Ouch!

Been there... Done that. Consider yourself lucky, just last week I cut up one jalapeno during lunch for some soup. I thought I did well in not touching the insides. I didn't realize how bad of a job I did until I was half way back from work and the last thing I did before leaving the house was go to the bathroom... You do that math  :o
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #380 on: September 01, 2011, 11:32:50 am »
I handled 13.5 pounds of the Hatches. And they are the hot ones. Wore gloves when peeling, but I didn't when washing the peppers when they were brought home. Made the mistake of rubbing my eye.

Used to wear contacts and have had the same agonizing experience. They can be soaked and rinsed off, however if you have disposables then just replace.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #381 on: September 01, 2011, 11:48:11 am »
I handled 13.5 pounds of the Hatches. And they are the hot ones. Wore gloves when peeling, but I didn't when washing the peppers when they were brought home. Made the mistake of rubbing my eye.

Used to wear contacts and have had the same agonizing experience. They can be soaked and rinsed off, however if you have disposables then just replace.

Yeah they were disposables, and overnight soaking seemed to make them WORSE!  So I went to my last pair, unfortunately...now I have to go through the song and dance of an eye exam...seriously, my eyes haven't changed in years upon years, why can't I just buy more of the same contact lenses?!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #382 on: September 09, 2011, 08:24:24 pm »
Tonight, Norwegian kjøttkaker (meatballs) with a brown onion gravy and boiled potatoes, and Danish akvavit. Watching the movie "Troll Hunter" again. Sue me, it entertains me!

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #383 on: September 10, 2011, 04:36:51 pm »
Home smoked pork chops, coleslaw and baked beans for us tonight.  Not that exciting without pictures but I made a big fire in the fire pit this afternoon and then smoked the chops on the coals with wet maple.  Had enough homebrew to make it a very pleasant afternoon.  Beautiful weather, good beer and pig meat.  Not a bad life....

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #384 on: September 10, 2011, 06:46:32 pm »
Chicken soup for me.  I'm sure it was good but I've got a killer cold and can't taste anything.  I even put some hot red chile powder in the second bowl but can't taste it.
Last night the wife tried my new keg of altbier and said it was delicious, it tasted like cold water to me.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #385 on: September 11, 2011, 01:09:19 pm »
Will try to remember to put up pix, But tonite we are having

HOBO PIE

Little lean ground beef on a bed of rice surrounded by your favorite veggies....
Onion, red bell, yella squash, par cooked new taters, shrooms, carrot slices, celery, Grape maters,
diced Jalapeno~....drizzled in Olive Oil and seasoned by your self with what ever in the
he double hockey sticks you like and then wrapped up in some Reyolds alzheimers foil twice...
put on the grill 20-30 mins and served up piping hot on your favorite paper plate....mmmmmm....don't get much betta.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 01:39:51 pm by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #386 on: September 11, 2011, 03:38:56 pm »
Will try to remember to put up pix, But tonite we are having

HOBO PIE

Those are always a favorite of our Scouts on their camping trips
Joe

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #387 on: September 11, 2011, 08:19:03 pm »
Tonight will be smoked pork loin sandwiches with a traditional barbecue sauce-ketchup, Dijon mustard, red wine vinegar, brown sugar, Sam Adams Octoberfest and garlic,onion and lots of red chile powder.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #388 on: September 20, 2011, 12:50:08 am »
I've been reading some interesting stuff on Italian cooking. So I tried my hand at some radicchio. I've had it in salads and such with a welcome peppery bitter bite but altogether unfamiliar to me.

I did fresh pasta- one half fettuccine and the other thin square spaghetti.

Same recipe for both as I wanted to compare.

1/2 cleaned and thin-sliced radicchio saute'd with 1/2 med shallot in bacon fat. Salt, pepper and a little fish-sauce which is optional, but I think adds a little dimension of flavor. Add some excellent olive oil if it begins to look a little dry.

To this is added 3/4 cooked pasta with it's water- maybe 1/2 a cup. Finish in pan, toss in another bit of olive oil then plate with fresh grated parm.

The radicchio tastes almost like grapefruit. A wonderful citrus bitterness that marries well with the fat, pasta and nutty cheese. I liked the thin pasta the best.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #389 on: November 13, 2011, 04:12:13 pm »
shrimp and crawfish etoufee from scratch....

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale