Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146762 times)

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #435 on: December 18, 2011, 09:32:10 pm »
Tonight was fish and chips.  My daughter's ex boyfriend's father gave us a big sack of fish he caught in Alaska this past fall so we thawed a couple of packs.  One was definitely halibut, the other package could be cod but I'm guessing rockfish.  I made the batter with some Belhaven Scottish ale, the wife made fries and it was an excellent meal.  I use my brewstand to fry the fish so the house doesn't stink(and I'm 6 feet from the kegerator).  Anyway, my daughter and her ex(?)boyfriend came over for dinner and we had a good time.  He's a budding all grain homebrewer so we have lots to talk about.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #436 on: December 19, 2011, 08:57:53 am »
i made some homemade crab, shrimp and corn chowder over the weekend.  first time i've made it from scratch.  i'll post the recipe tonight.

mmmmmmm, rare sour beers.....

Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #437 on: December 19, 2011, 09:56:58 am »
i made some homemade crab, shrimp and corn chowder over the weekend.  first time i've made it from scratch.  i'll post the recipe tonight.

Looks Awesome!!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #438 on: December 19, 2011, 10:50:52 am »

Looks Awesome!!!!

+1

Love me some homeade seafood chowder.

Nicely done DS!
Ron Price

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #439 on: December 19, 2011, 11:16:24 am »
My mom has an excellent blue crab/corn chowder recipe, we've used it out here with king crab meat since the blue crab isn't available.
But we're headed to Mobile for a week, seafood everyday except Christmas.  Lunch Thursday will be oysters on the half shell and shrimp grits.  Dinner will be boiled shrimp and potato salad.  My Mom has cooked that for me every time I've come home ever since I moved out back in 1975.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #440 on: December 19, 2011, 11:51:58 am »
Seafood dinner is a Christmas Eve tradition in my family.  It's been that way at least back to when I was knee-high to a grasshopper, probably a lot longer.  Man, I love Christmas Eve!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #441 on: December 19, 2011, 12:18:42 pm »
I make a pretty decent chowder myself but deepsouth that looks fabulous and it's not too complicated. Awaiting the recipe...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #442 on: December 19, 2011, 02:09:56 pm »
5 slices bacon

1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 cup chopped onion

1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper

1/2 cup chopped celery

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1/3 cup white wine

1 teaspoon conac

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

3 cups fresh corn kernels

4 large potatoes, peeled and diced

1 1/2 quarts chicken stock

1/2 cup butter

1 1/2 tablespoon Creole seasoning

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

3 cups heavy cream

1 cup half-and-half cream

1 pound peeled and deveined small shrimp

1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed

Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally until evenly browned. Remove the bacon, and reserve the grease. Allow the bacon to cool, then crumble, and set aside with the grease.

Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 10 minutes. Pour in the white wine and brandy, and bring to a simmer. Season with  black pepper, cayenne pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Add the corn and potatoes, then pour in the chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.

While the soup is simmering, melt 1/2 cup of butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour has turned the color of peanut butter to make a roux.

Stir the roux into the soup, and pour in the heavy cream, half-and-half cream, reserved bacon and grease, and shrimp. Return to a simmer over medium-high heat, and cook until the shrimp are no longer translucent in the center, the potatoes are tender, and the soup has thickened, about 15 minutes. add the creole seasoning, and stir in the crab meat.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline bo

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #443 on: December 22, 2011, 11:27:55 am »
I tried your recipe, deepsouth and it turned out fantastic. I only changed a couple of things. I had to sub scallops for the crab, because I couldn't get any. I also added a couple TB's of flour in the end to thicken it a little more to my liking.

It's definitely going in my collection of great, proven recipes. Thanks.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #444 on: December 22, 2011, 11:39:44 am »
On Monday it was Cadillac Carnitas:

To me this was Carne Asada not Carnitas. This meat was grilled and chopped not braised. Anyway it was quite delicious and couldn't finish it. Gave away that last taco...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #445 on: December 22, 2011, 12:06:53 pm »
5 slices bacon

1 1/2 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 cup chopped onion

1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper

1/2 cup chopped celery

2 teaspoons minced garlic

1/3 cup white wine

1 teaspoon conac

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

3 cups fresh corn kernels

4 large potatoes, peeled and diced

1 1/2 quarts chicken stock

1/2 cup butter

1 1/2 tablespoon Creole seasoning

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

3 cups heavy cream

1 cup half-and-half cream

1 pound peeled and deveined small shrimp

1 pound fresh lump crabmeat, shell pieces removed

Place the bacon in a large, deep skillet, and cook over medium heat, turning occasionally until evenly browned. Remove the bacon, and reserve the grease. Allow the bacon to cool, then crumble, and set aside with the grease.

Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large pot over medium heat. Stir in the onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 10 minutes. Pour in the white wine and brandy, and bring to a simmer. Season with  black pepper, cayenne pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Add the corn and potatoes, then pour in the chicken stock. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.

While the soup is simmering, melt 1/2 cup of butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir in the flour, and cook, stirring constantly, until the flour has turned the color of peanut butter to make a roux.

Stir the roux into the soup, and pour in the heavy cream, half-and-half cream, reserved bacon and grease, and shrimp. Return to a simmer over medium-high heat, and cook until the shrimp are no longer translucent in the center, the potatoes are tender, and the soup has thickened, about 15 minutes. add the creole seasoning, and stir in the crab meat.

I'll being making a very similiar version of your recipe this weekend for the holiday.  :)
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #446 on: December 22, 2011, 01:59:20 pm »
Last night was arugala pesto spaghetti. We get these enourmous bags of arugala from the CSA and I just can't eat that much in a salad so I chuck it in the food proccesor with a few garlic cloves, salt pepper and olive oil and a few handfuls of walnuts (pine nuts work to) process until smooth, mix in a couple handfuls of finely shredded hard cheese (I like dry jack lately but parm or whatever works) boil pasta (I didn't have time to make my own last night so it was out of a box) drain and add pesto generously. garnish with shredded cheese and chopped nuts.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #447 on: January 02, 2012, 12:24:23 am »
and tonight I finally got my a$$ in gear, got a flikr account set up and figured out how to upload photos from my phone to it. so here is dinner tonight.

Veggie tacos with homemade tortillas, refried beans, grilled mushrooms and onions, fresh spinach and guac and some roasted garlic and artichoke sour cream.

**EDITED TO MAKE THE PICTURE BIGGER**
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:29:23 am by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #448 on: January 21, 2012, 11:26:13 am »
Last night a friend took me to a real Szechuan restaurant. I tried the Dan dan noodles and some excellent pickled vegetables- radish, celery and cabbage primarily. Phenomenal. Spicy.

Then I had the Deep Fried Chicken... About 50% dried red chiles with ginger and scallion and little bits of fried chicken. Extremely hot. Wonderful flavor though! I was sweating down my back and tears running out of my eyes. The good thing was it reached some sort of spiciness threshold and didn't just keep getting hotter and hotter!

While this isn't the exact picture it looked like this:

I was told the the chiles are the "sauce" and they are not meant to be eaten. ;)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #449 on: January 21, 2012, 11:41:08 am »
Man that looks good euge. I've been craving spicy food for the duration of my wife's second pregnancy. Had a colleague bring me back a jar of his mom's homemade spicy veggies from his trip to Martinique, that's helped me out a bit.

Tonight I'm cooking Ricotta Gnudi with champignons du bois and pan fried black forest ham. Also fried chicken alĂ  Thomas Keller.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!