Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's For Dinner?  (Read 146841 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: What's For Dinner?
« Reply #510 on: April 12, 2012, 08:39:11 am »
"The Bomb"

Beef, Cheese Sauce & Bean with Green Chiles Burrito. A couple minutes in the micro and this behemoth is just the thing after a 12 hour road-trip.

With hot sauce and a cold Mexican beer...

How do they taste euge?

Gut bombs!  :P
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #511 on: April 12, 2012, 10:24:39 am »
"The Bomb"

Beef, Cheese Sauce & Bean with Green Chiles Burrito. A couple minutes in the micro and this behemoth is just the thing after a 12 hour road-trip.

With hot sauce and a cold Mexican beer...

How do they taste euge?

Gut bombs!  :P

Yes! They taste great! Prefer that it was actually "spicy" and the beans could be cooked a little more but a hot burrito in 3 minutes is pretty badass. I think you could fry these things too...

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #512 on: April 12, 2012, 10:25:35 am »
I've never found a bagged  frozen burrito to be worthwhile, but they say there's a first time for everything.  :) 

Maybe euge found one.  :-\

edit: you just beat me to the post euge.  :P
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #513 on: April 12, 2012, 10:32:19 am »
These come thawed. Buy them at the "Valero" convenience store. The Jose Ole brand from the grocery store isn't too bad.

These are great beer mops and having something hot within minutes can be a life saver!
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #514 on: April 12, 2012, 10:41:21 am »
These come thawed. Buy them at the "Valero" convenience store. The Jose Ole brand from the grocery store isn't too bad.

These are great beer mops and having something hot within minutes can be a life saver!

I'll give them a try... if I happen to see them at my local grocery store. The name's easy enough to remember.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #515 on: April 22, 2012, 08:24:51 pm »
First time cooking seitan tonight. Chourizo seitan with black bean salsa over mojo rice. Came out incredible. Meals like these make me think I could actually be OK if I was a vegetarian.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #516 on: April 23, 2012, 08:47:57 am »
First time cooking seitan tonight. Chourizo seitan with black bean salsa over mojo rice. Came out incredible. Meals like these make me think I could actually be OK if I was a vegetarian.

seitan is great. you can grate it on a box grater and spice it up for tacos, you can stuff it and roast it with root veggies, you can chunk it up, brown in a skillet, cool and mix with dressing for a 'chicken' salad. it goes on and on. did you buy it pre-made? or start with gluten powder? If you want to get really crazy you can wash it out of whole wheat flour but that takes for friggen ever. The only shortcoming of vegetarian cooking that I have encountered is the simple dishes. although even then, a seitan cutlet sauted in butter with some mushrooms on top is pretty damn good to.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #517 on: April 23, 2012, 09:14:47 am »

seitan is great. you can grate it on a box grater and spice it up for tacos, you can stuff it and roast it with root veggies, you can chunk it up, brown in a skillet, cool and mix with dressing for a 'chicken' salad. it goes on and on. did you buy it pre-made? or start with gluten powder? If you want to get really crazy you can wash it out of whole wheat flour but that takes for friggen ever. The only shortcoming of vegetarian cooking that I have encountered is the simple dishes. although even then, a seitan cutlet sauted in butter with some mushrooms on top is pretty damn good to.

I picked these up at Whole Foods:

http://www.uptonsnaturals.com/products/

This was only my second time eating Seitan, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I didn't realize these were supposed to crumble (the first time I tried it was more like strips/chunks), so I had a freak-out moment shortly after they went into the pan. But it turned out for the best anyways since I ended up mixing some salsa into it.

I don't intentionally do the vegetarian thing, but I've made some major changes to my diet in the past year or two to lose weight. I've been cutting calories way back, but still watching my protein intake to make sure I'm getting enough. Aside from chicken, most days I seem to be a de facto vegetarian since eggs and beans are a huge part of my diet. I tried Seitan with a vegan friend of mine a little while ago and realized that it is everything I've always wanted tofu to be. I just wish my local supermarket carried it.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #518 on: April 23, 2012, 09:18:52 am »
looks like a cool product. Look for vital wheat gluten and you can learn to make your own. Whole Paycheck probably has it, or look up your local healthfood/co-op food store.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #519 on: April 24, 2012, 07:54:30 pm »

Nothing too special, slow braised chuck steak in soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and some herbs. Threw the veggies in after a couple hours. Roasted the potatoes in a mixture of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, basil and thyme. Having it with "A Dark Night in Munich" a munich dunkel which won in the SA Longshot competition.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #520 on: April 25, 2012, 10:41:19 pm »
Felt like treating myself tonight.

Unagi. Tuna cheek. Curry rice (small). There was about 3 chewy cups of the rice. I couldn't finish it even though it was incredibly delicious. The tuna cheek was tasty and something I hadn't had before.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #521 on: April 25, 2012, 11:16:32 pm »
wow, you couldn't finish it euge? what, andre wasn't there to help? that is a huge (scuse me, 'euge') meal man. what's the sauce the rice is in? looks yummy and I don't even eat fish!
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #522 on: April 25, 2012, 11:29:27 pm »
That's the Japanese "Curry Rice"! No meat and talk about comfort food... :)

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #523 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:42 am »
I've had Halibut cheeks before. They were delicious. Very different from what the normal halibut filet is like. The cheeks were much more of a string type fiber instead of compact short muscle fibers. Was the Tuna cheek similar?
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #524 on: April 26, 2012, 09:40:34 am »
I've had Halibut cheeks before. They were delicious. Very different from what the normal halibut filet is like. The cheeks were much more of a string type fiber instead of compact short muscle fibers. Was the Tuna cheek similar?

It was a bit fatty but not fibrous though the flesh was dense. Tasty.